HybridZ

Electric Fan cooling @ 285hp

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This post is calling all modified straight 6 drag, race or street datsuns. What cooling systems are you running? MSA electric fan, stock plastic belt drive fan, Black magic or flexalite?

If you custom modified a fan not intended for a datsun which one was it and how?

I'm looking to run about 280 or so hp @ the flywheel and thought i could free up some more by converting to a crank damper and underdriving only one accesory, the alternator, and using an electric fan.

In general terms, how hot will a N/A L28 at that hp run and what CFM would a fan have to flow to cool it?

There is am article out there somewhere I have seen about a certain fan you can get from summit. I have a 16 inch imperial from Advance Auto parts. I don't know what it moves air wise, but it does a pretty good job keeping my ZXT cool, except in stop and go traffic with the air on.

But in fairness, the stock clutch fan couldn't do it either. I think one in front of the radiator would really help.

A 16 is really about the biggest one that will with on a stock ZXT radiator, so get one with the highest CFM you can afford.

I like the improved boost response I got from removing the fan.

I ran 2 11 inch fans on my old 260 (one in front and one behind the radiator). I never had any trouble in the heat with the set up. I got the fans at Western Auto. It did free up some HP. It was one of the best things I did to the car.

Hi,

I am not at 285hp yet (hoping soon!), but I have turned up the wick on my ZXT and I am running the Flex-a-lite twin slimline electric fans (part number 210) and I have run the car during the summer (+90F) with no signs of overheating. They continue to keep running after the car is shut down, which is a good feature as the water pump is no longer running to cool the motor down.

I bought the fans from Summit racing BTW.

Took me a weekend to install and wire-up but I am happy with their performance to date and I was pleased that I was able to remove the heavy (and parasitic) clutch fan.

Hope that helps - Yasin

I've 250 hp to the wheels, and I use an electric fan. I've got the Permacool from Summit, 14" I believe. The only time the motor temp creeps up on me is stop and go in the summer, and then it only creeps up to 200 or so, 100F out on the road.

I don't believe the overheating is due to the power level. Are you making the power all the time? No, most of the time you are probably putting 20-30 hp to the wheels. Especially a turbo engine with a stock cam - if you aren't on the boost, you are only making stock power.

As a matter of fact, I can turn my fan OFF when road racing it, as the air flow through the radiator is enough to cool it at HIGH power and medium speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running 2 fans one on each side of the radiator. The puller is from a Ford Super Coupe T-bird (cut apart from the pair) 7 blade and hooked to a Flex-a-lite adjustable sensor, for full automatic operation. This one fits down in the lower left part of the radiator, under the distributor. It is a long shaft motor. The other is from a Ford Taurus, pancake motor, and mounted in front as a pusher, and wired to a switch on the dash. I have a yellow indicator light to let me know when the auto one comes online, then I just keep an eye on the temp in traffic and if it starts to climb, click on the aux fan.

Bill