HybridZ

L28ET into low 11's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need to put my 73 240 into the low 11's with an L28et. Is this feasable if not how low can i get it ? i mean without spending a fortune on the engine. I am fairly new to L28et. All help and info appreciated !

Guest Anonymous

N20 .drivetrain , traction.it all adds up i think you could make a 12 sec car on a budget.Just look at who has run a low 11 and your see what they have invested to do so.

MID 11's

JWT ecu upgrade w inj

4 puck ceramic clutch

8" slicks

front mount intercooler (a real one NOT a junkyard thing)

msd 6 series box

bigger turbo and 26PSI boost stock motor

launch at 7500 RPM (dont be afraid of the driveline, if you are scared of breaking something then find a new hobby, you will NEVER get good times unless you abuse the car, and DO NOT lift throttle shift!!!)

that got me a best of 11.6@116MPH w/ 1.6 60FT now that was at 5800ft above sea level if you are lower in elevation then expect a little quicker times.

oh yeah definatly look into some spray, add a 50 shot on top of that and say hello to 10's.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Be careful with the powershifting.

I broke two 280 crankshafts by not lifting off the gas when drag racing.

However, I must admit that it took hundreds and hundreds of drag runs each time before the crank did break in half.

Just be aware that it will happen eventually.

Later,norm

Originally posted by norm[T12SDSUD]:

Be careful with the powershifting.

I broke two 280 crankshafts by not lifting off the gas when drag racing.

However, I must admit that it took hundreds and hundreds of drag runs each time before the crank did break in half.

Just be aware that it will happen eventually.

Later,norm

Norm, with a turbo motor it becomes necessary to powershift to avoid losing boost. Don't listen to the people that say the BOV or compressor bypass will keep the turbo spooled during a throttle-lift -- it won't, and you've got to build the boost up again before you come on your power curve. I'm sure you've seen the AWD eclipses leap-frogging down the track -- looks silly, wastes time too.

I'm curious about the crankshaft breakage you experienced powershifting. Do you think the crank stress could be made worse if you are running a high performance n/a motor (high compression) or a light flywheel, stiff clutch...? You seem to be the only one I know of that has had this crank problem -- yes, from what I hear you have more 1/4 runs in a Z than the entire population at HybridZ put together, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Sorry about hijacking the post - it is still on topic isn't it??

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Well I stopped having the crank breakage problem when I stopped power shifting.

I turn the diesel crank to 7100 rpm's just as I did the 280 crank.

I've had the diesel crank in there since Mar 99.

I think the shear amount of my runs is the reason.

I once made 44 passes in one night at a test and tune session. That's more than most people do in a season of racing.

I can't think of any other reason why it would have broken other than the power shifting.

Later,norm

so you ran 26psi of boost on a upgraded turbo on stock internals? that motor cant last long then.

Im looking for mid 11's on a car i can drive everyday.

what turbo are you runing and what size injectors?

mike

so you ran 26psi of boost on a upgraded turbo on stock internals? that motor cant last long then.

Im looking for mid 11's on a car i can drive everyday.

yeah whatever man, i have run the car at that level for over 3 years on pump gas!! the motor has well over 100,000 miles on it too.

but your right i guess the motor cant last long huh :rolleyes:

hey man i wasnt trying to start **** .

but i didnt think that a stock 80's 280zx turbo motor can handle that much boost with out breaking into the motor.

but your saying that i can just get a L28T motor, drop it into my 240Z, put a boost controller on it, a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler and a fuel system and ill bein the 12's easy?

mike

so what do i need to prevent that?

also what turbo and injectors should i look into getting for 450rwhp levels?

also what other parts would be smart to get?

mike

Guest JAMIE T

You need fuel to prevent detonation. At 26psi, I would say alot of fuel burnout.gif . And tuning. I would jump all over a L28ET if I could find one. Big turbo, fuel, FMIC, and a boost controller, oh yeah!

Guest De Schmaydee

....i was running 9's in my 73 vega station wagon bonk.gif running 36psi....and.....and....oh yeah....i broke 2 cranks in that one run...otherwise it prbly would have been in the 6's....hehhehehe....s

well what injectors?

like what company?

a few friends tell me RC engineering's are good but i heard some bad things about them.

also what other little goodies do i need that im leaving out?

any info on the AEM race EMS?

also what size exhaust piping should i use?

im also gonna be using a HKS SS- BOV, and a HKS hiper carbon muffler.

does anybody have any links to any internet shops that sell stuff for the L28ET? and also where can i find a L28ET with 5-speed?

thanks

mike

okay one at a time here.........

well what injectors?.
at least 50lb but i would do 720cc, any brand you want except RC they are way to f'n proud of their ****

any info on the AEM race EMS?
never heard of it. i would go with Electromotive or SDS.

also what size exhaust piping should i use?
3" turbo back

im also gonna be using a HKS SS- BOV, and a HKS hiper carbon muffler.
does'nt mean squat as far as power goes

does anybody have any links to any internet shops that sell stuff for the L28ET
do a search in Hybrid and you will find them.

also where can i find a L28ET with 5-speed?
almost ANY junkyard