HybridZ

Drilling new dip stick hole in RB25det

Kclank

I am installing a enjuiku reversed sump pan on my engine (RB25DET) which is going into an 240Z.  The dip stick needs to be relocated to allow oil level checking.  My questions are:

1.  I see there is a dimple in the casting at the right location to allow a new hole to be drilled.  Has anyone done this and what procedures, avoidance, hints or tips might you offer?

2. Has anyone done a different type of oil level checking method such as a sight window or tube on the outside of the pan or a remote sensor to read levels from the cabin? Porsche and others have done this; and a source for parts and info if known?

3. Other options?

Any positive input is appreciated.

Edited by Kclank

The last Rb25 I modified for use as RWD had a second hole for the dipstick with a plug in it in the back of the block. I simply used a punch and hammer and knocked it out, then placed it in the hole where the dipstick was and relocated the dipstick to the rear of the block

Hey thanks for the reply.  in driving out the plug (i kinda guessed it was a plug) did it make a difference driving the plug out one way or the other?  Meaning if the engine is in a normal engine compartment position, position would i drive it downward toward the ground or upward towards the sky.  I do not know if the plug is tapered or not.  Use any heat?

Edited by Kclank

Good stuff,  thanks much;  ok plug came out very neatly.  The tube is trying to flare in its hole.  ideas or just drill the f--ker out and make/obtain another tube?  I am just trying to be cautious here as i am kinda ham handed.

OK I see this should be a fairly simple twist out.  i will readdress it in a kinder gentler manner.

Edited by Kclank

Thanks all.  i have moved the dipstick and installed the new pan.  the next question is what to do about the transmission braces which no longer fit due to the reversed sump.  cut, fab new, leave off?    thoughts?

I wondered the same thing about the braces. Then a little research revealed all the RB26 owners are unable to mount it at all anyways since the holes don't exist on those blocks. Since my search didn't reveal any issues about flexing transmission shaft or pinion bushing wear or any problems, I assumed it's probably fine to leave it off.

It made me especially frustrated since I fabbed my own pan but failed to mock those up in the process and didn't leave clearance for them. Oh well.

Mark