HybridZ

Custom headlights , your thoughts ?

I'm sure the halo will look great.  The projectors are from fog lights though if I am looking at them correctly. My first concern is light distribution, or rather - lack of proper distribution.  There is nothing to cut off the light up high for a proper cut-off like an older sealed beam or the newer proper projection lights such as shown here:

cutoff.jpg

And this shows how those projector lenses work to cut off the top of the light:

Headlight_projector_schematic.png

And here are some threads discussing some pros and cons of different options.  Many people get a "projector" headlight, but it was designed for a halogen bulb, not a HID bulb.  So know what you are using.  

In this thread, starting at post 58, is a good discussion of why not to use a halogen bulb projector with a HID light:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?514509-DIY-Cutoff-shield-modding-on-DEPO-or-ZKW-headlights/page3

And here is a good primer on the various lighting options.  Obviously tailored to BMW lights, but you can still get good info:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=217994

Edited by Bob_H

When you get something going on the LED taillights & turn signals please let me know. I'm looking for ways to get brighter in that area.

Will do . Already have all the parts and lens are separated from housings .

I am in the process of trying to build some LED tail lights.  I have a few spares that I am going to mutilate......

as far as the headlights.  I would change the projector to a Miromoto unit or something similar for good light distribution.  I had some LED projectors molded into my Tundra headlights along with a few other additions.  I couldn't be happier....

I am not a fan of the me too club when it comes to new fad items especially halo lights on a classic car. I have seen some on various cars and it just does not look right. However, I think that halo lights on a Z might look good. The Z already has unique headlights and this may be a great look. As you mention you are working on rear LED, the car will not look right if you only have LED on the front. Just my opinion.

Headlights installed . " Zbright " ( PLATA ) .

post-11413-0-59039700-1399851197_thumb.jpg

Be aware of eBay 7" round H4 headlights . I bought 3 sets and only 1 fits , others are not keyed correctly for the Z buckets . Had to mod. the above set for proper fit .

Thanks . I'll try next weekend . Doing body work to it at this time . The car stays outside , covered , during the week .

Those look pretty cool - how did you mount the COB rings to the headlights?  Also, what size are the COBs?

Those look pretty cool - how did you mount the COB rings to the headlights?  Also, what size are the COBs?

Thanks . 140mm COB rings and I used hot glue . You can also get them in different colors , I like white .

Edited by Domzs

Thanks . 140mm COB rings and I used hot glue . You can also get them in different colors , I like white .

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but hot glued to the outside of the headlight, or did you remove the glass and mount it inside?  Also, do you know if the 140mm measurement is ID or OD?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but hot glued to the outside of the headlight, or did you remove the glass and mount it inside?  Also, do you know if the 140mm measurement is ID or OD?

I think 140mm is the OD . That's how they are listed on eBay . The next larger size , if there is one , won't work with the Z 7" headlights . The rings are glued on the outside , don't recommend to do this without headlight covers but I think they are waterproof , not 100% sure .

You do know that the hot glue will soften in the Texas heat and your halos will detach from the headlight - correct? Combine that with the heat of the headlights and they're not long for this world.

Also: 140mm divided by 25.4mm/inch gives about 5.5". Since the Z's have 7" OD lights I'd assume the 140mm is the ID of the Halo.

Edited by Phantom

You do know that the hot glue will soften in the Texas heat and your halos will detach from the headlight - correct? Combine that with the heat of the headlights and they're not long for this world.

Also: 140mm divided by 25.4mm/inch gives about 5.5". Since the Z's have 7" OD lights I'd assume the 140mm is the ID of the Halo.

Let's hope not . :-D . If they do , I have a back up plan . I bought some clear silicone adhesive then decided to use hot glue , faster drying time .