HybridZ

LM7 & T56 Candidate - Your Opinion Needed

Hi All,

I have an lm7 and a t56 that I am planning to swap into something fun. I really like the styling of the S30's and I have been looking locally for one. I just came back from seeing this car. 

The Good

• Frame Rails Replaced
  • Floorboards Replaced
  • New Air Dam (Fiberglass)
  • Custom Leather Seats Red & Black
  • Flared fenders (fiberglass)
  • Whale Tail (Fiberglass, not so sold on this)
  • car and trans is out of car (not sure if this is good or not)
  • engine compartment looked almost completely free of rust

The Bad

• Owner had it painted and it is chipping and cracking in numerous places. Looks very poorly done
  • There is a pile of expanding foam type insulation right where the flares were done, he says could be from the PO and the stereo system
  • Car has been sitting for 5 years
  • Rust can be see in places where it was painted and it has since chipped peeled off
  • dash is cracked
  • missing interior pieces
  • missing tail light sections

Generally, I can't say I trust the quality of the work that was done, aside from the seats, the paint job is horrid and fiberglass work on the dam, flares and whale tail have me suspicious. Also, I am afraid I will remove the paint to find rust in many places. Guy is asking $3500 and since I have no prior experience, just wondering what you guys think.

post-44274-0-87527200-1399168515_thumb.jpg

post-44274-0-73327400-1399168516_thumb.jpg

post-44274-0-45087500-1399168517_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Is it worth it to low ball him or should I just keep searching. I don't think I can expect a car with a clean body and no rust given the age of these cars. Just wondering what I should reasonably expect.

You can find cars still in reasonable shape - no rust in critical areas in the dryer areas of the US. Just keep looking. If you're not in a big hurry you'll come across one.

Too bad you don't have the LM4 instead of the LM7. The weight savings would be nice.

Interestingly - I'm going to be in the Vancouver area this next Tuesday and Wesnesday nights, May 6 & 7. Up there for some business.

Edited by Phantom

If you see signs of rust run like hell unless you are able to fix it yourself, especailly under flares. There are a lot of bodyshops that think they know how to install flares and a few years later the truth shows right through the paint. Take it from me, rust repair at a restoration shop is not cheap.

If you're gonna have to paint it anyways I say no. Your cons are as many or more than the pros in this car and it's too much guesswork. Took me around 1.5 years to find a decent swap candidate for $2kand I drove it home 300 miles. Original paint, engine, no body work previously done etc... You could spend the same buying a $2k shell from Arizona and ship it to your house for the same and feel better about it. Then I also sold my engine and trans to offset the cost so try to get all you can with it is my recommendation. Good luck finding a chassis. They're still out there don't give up it's a blast to drive and it turns heads alllllll day long!

Also need to decide if you want a stock body or a lot of "stick-on" stuff. That looks very late 70s/early 80's pimp my ride to me, whereas preservation of stock lines with body mods for functionality only is more my style. Get as much complete as possible. Stock lines looks "light" and body kits mske the Z look very heavy and bulky, and the lighness of the Z is its greatest strength. While no motor seems like a head start if you are gonna swap it, you'll be amazed at how much stuff you will preserve and re-use. Better to have the parts and not need them that to get nickeled and dimed later.