HybridZ

Looking for tips: replace steering rack tube bushings.

Found the clunk into suspension: worn, lost or missing tube bushings. The passenger side moved up and down so much it looks like maybe the bushing was never even there! Gonna order bushings from Black Dragon tonight if they still carry them. I assume that I need to pull the rack from the car but I don't know how far I have to dissassemble or any special tools that will make the job easier. Any pointers or shortcuts appreciated.

You mean the rack mounting bushings? I just replaced my steering rack not too long ago. No special tools required.

Mine went like this:

- Undo bottom half of steering bushing by firewall

- Loosen and remove lower steering shaft via bottom U-joint bolt

- Raise car and remove front wheels

- Disconnect tire rod ends from car (if you cant get them out, then remove the outers from the rack, but you'll need an alignment)

- Loosen bracket bolts

- Disconnect sway bar links (to make room)

- I think I turned the rack 180 deg and slid it out of the drivers side

You may need to jack up on the strut or use a pry bar to get things outta the way but overall its a pretty simple R and R.

Installation is reverse of removal.

B.

Where did you get the rack? I looked into one place several months back, and they only replaced seals, so you had the luck of the draw if you got one with good metal bushings. I think there was a thread either on here or classiczcars about it.

DatsunPartsllc.com had one advertised and still active on internet site.  Called the guy to confirm and find out about core charge and learned that the site was in error-no rack on-hand.  He was really cool and is checking to see if his rebuilder can source another one and he said he would eat shipping to cover for the confusion.  Waiting for a reply.  I can get one from a junk yard, I just make enough money and my time is valuable enough and hard to come by that I'd rather take the lazy route if I can.  Will post outcome.

Black Dragon has the tube bushing for the passenger side but none for driver side. But it seems that there is something more wrong with it. I found pics of the bushing-my rack is moving more in the tube than I think that bushing could account for. Placing a wanted add in classifieds for a good used rack. Swapping used parts for used parts, why didnt I buy a Mustang!!!? Datsunpartsllc.com says he will refund me.

Black Dragon has the tube bushing for the passenger side but none for driver side. But it seems that there is something more wrong with it. I found pics of the bushing-my rack is moving more in the tube than I think that bushing could account for. Placing a wanted add in classifieds for a good used rack. Swapping used parts for used parts, why didnt I buy a Mustang!!!? Datsunpartsllc.com says he will refund me.

There are some old threads discussing how to install a  Mustang rack in a 240Z. Other racks as well.

Thanks guys, but I want to buy stock.  $600 for a part that doesn't fit only works for me if it has 8 sparkplugs and a flywheel attached.  I'm abandoning the rebuild plan due to lack of parts available to do a good rebuild.  Probably the reason why my "rebuilt" rack only lasted a few years-it probably wasn't rebuilt at all, just cleaned up and re-sold for a profit.  I will be buying the best used rack I can find.  See Parts Wanted forum, but please only respond if you have a part to sell me.  Its racing season and I want to race, not do a redesign.

That's funny, just by coincedence I just rebuilt the rack on my '75 last night.

The brass/bronze bushings would be easy to machine. I think I even have some NOS bushings in the bolt bins to measure, I'll have to check when I get home. Pretty easy to hammer them out and put new ones in, I've replaced a couple of sets before. 

The only part you can't fix on a worn rack is the gear teeth when they wear on the straight ahead position. Some play here is acceptable but you can't adjust it out because then it will be too tight when turned to the side. One thing you can do is clock the pinion gear 180 deg. That way the loose tooth on the pinion does not line up with the loose tooth on the rack, which means less play. This is the first time I've tried this but it feels good on the bench, can still feel a slight amount of looseness straight ahead but can't feel the looseness when the loose pinion tooth is engaged.

Somewhere in the pro-dates they change the racks a bit. The early ones had an aluminum gear housing with a bushing on the bottom of the pinion shaft. The later ones went to a steel housing with a roller bearing on the bottom of the pinion.

There's no real good alternatives to a stock rack, it's a very quick ratio to start with. Like 2.7 turns lock to lock, whereas a Mustang is 4, ugggh.

Edited by Chris Duncan

I just got a tight rebuilt rack in the mail today. I have to send my worn out rack as a core. I am picking up a 260z parts car on Saturday and will consider grabbing the rack off of it before I surrender the chassis to a friend. What is TTTs price for a set? I might consider just buying a bunch to be the forum steering rack master just like Savage42 is the forum CLSD clutch master.

• Like 1