HybridZ

Which Interior Panels for an early 260Z?

mattster03

I am a bit confused and hoping someone can help clear things up.  It seems that there are so many 240Z interior panel replacement kits on the market, but they specifically say "70-73 240Z".  And by panels I am referring to the trunk 1/4 panels, dog legs, lamp cover, etc.  I have an early '74 260Z that has panels that sure look the same as the 240Z panels... are they the same or subtly different?  Or are they the same as late 260Z/280Z panels?  I do know that the door panels are different.  I searched and couldn't find the answer, hopefully I didn't miss a thread that spells this out already...

Edited by mattster03

one key difference in the panels is the fit around the shock tower. If your early 260 has the short rear shock towers like a 240, then they are interchangable. The issue with the hatch support strut is that at some point the right side rear panel has the raised bit that clears the bracket on that side. If you don't have the bracket then you leave a small gap there. No biggy. If you have the later taller strut towers, then there is an extra 3x3 ish notch in the one panel where it fits around the tower. This is the dead give away between early and later 260/shot/tall strut towers.

260 and up interior panels are a nice thick tough ABS plastic, while the 240 panels are that thin crack-prone squeaky fibreglass crap. Nirvana happens when you own a 240 and find a set of those nice thick early 260 panels to replace them with. I'm lucky to be blessed in this fashion.

one key difference in the panels is the fit around the shock tower. If your early 260 has the short rear shock towers like a 240, then they are interchangable. The issue with the hatch support strut is that at some point the right side rear panel has the raised bit that clears the bracket on that side. If you don't have the bracket then you leave a small gap there. No biggy. If you have the later taller strut towers, then there is an extra 3x3 ish notch in the one panel where it fits around the tower. This is the dead give away between early and later 260/shot/tall strut towers.

260 and up interior panels are a nice thick tough ABS plastic, while the 240 panels are that thin crack-prone squeaky fibreglass crap. Nirvana happens when you own a 240 and find a set of those nice thick early 260 panels to replace them with. I'm lucky to be blessed in this fashion.

Thanks, this is really helpful.  The only question I have is, is there a documented measurement I can take to know if I have the "short" or "tall" rear shock towers?  If I took a picture and posted, could someone tell me?

If you have an early 260Z, then it will have the same strut towers as the 240Z.  I am not sure on the cut-off number where the chassis began to resemble the 280Z (large bumpers and raised rear strut towers).  I do know that both of the 260Zs that I have owned are the early style, and I have mixed and matched interior pieces that I used from a 240Z.  The first 260Z that I owned was manufactured in 08/73 (RLS30-000481) and the current 260Z that I own was manufactured in 04/74.  Both cars have more in common with the 1973 240Z than they do with the 1975 280Z.  Neither has the big bumpers and neither has the raised strut towers. 

Excellent info, thank you very much.  My 260Z is Vin#RLS30-004235 , I have not yet been able to read the plate in the door jamb to find out the production date; the previous owner decided to paint over it :angry: .  The car has all the bodily signs of the 240Z, small bumpers, indentations on the rear quarter panels for the bumpers, turn signals below the headlights, etc.  If I measure the strut tube lengths, this should be a good indicator, right?

Edited by mattster03

240z strut towers have support braces with two flanged cut outs (not sure of the correct term) per side, the 280Z support braces are solid. Also, the 280Z strut towers have mounts for a retracting 3pt seat belt on top. 240Z strut towers are open.

If you still aren't sure, post a pic, and I'll tell you which they are.