HybridZ

Ugh, GM dealer wants $65 EACH for motor mounts and $45 for t

Which Energy mounts are you guys getting? JTR specs a 72 Pickup as being the "correct" mount but calls to Summit and elsewhere yielded negative answers! Those mounts have a stud sticking out - what mounts have you got?! Hell, I een posted here about my frustration in finding poly mounts for the motor and no one had any answers. You sure those mounts will work? What part number is it? New part or have they had this? What's the application it's made for?

You're right Mike, I'd forgotten that I had to buy boltsnuts for the mounts I'd purchased. Still, I was told that replacement mounts weren't available - pretty sure the year was 72. I distinctly recall that the year they give is a "cutoff year" where most listings stop at the year before for replacements. If other years will work terrific, I'd love to hear it because I REALLY wanted urethane mounts when I did my swap....

Guest Anonymous

An advantage of urethane mounts would be they're a bit tougher to break. Also consider engine movement, the less an engine torques over on its mounts, the more those forces are transmitted where they're supposed to go, through the driveshaft.

BTW, I've seen factory mounts ripped in half too, its not just the aftermarket ones, they may be a bit more tear resistant, but they do tear when you put some power behind them.

To prevent it all together, you have two choices, solid motor mounts (ummm yeah, vibration and with a rad cam it'll rock the whole car noticably) or a restraint strap, this can be a cable to the block from a mount welded on the frame. Also you can do the same and use a 2 pieces of steel with holes drilled on each end. On piece bolts on the block, the other bolts on the frame and the middle of the two are joined with a bolt to allow a bit of movement, but not the full range enough to tear a mount... *shrug*

Regards,

Lone

the poly mounts are made by Prothane. PN#7-509 there for a chevy truck 63 to 72 w/350. I think the 6 cyl version is the same. I got mine from suspension.com ther fone num#209-578-5101.AS far as vibration issue,there is more being transmited to the cabin and steering wheel, I'd say on a scale from 1 to 10 rubber being 3 and urethane 6. But if you see how much that engine moves when you rev it, you understand why I feel better with urehtane. Just my 2 cents.

BLKMGK Sorry about the wrong mount info. I would've been going crazy too. I did not do my homework on this subject enough. I didn't realize the year of these mounts. Summit DOES NOT carry the mounts we need that is suggested in the JTR manual. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif SO I have been calling all morning after I saw the posts on the urethane mounts. Well after 2 hours of searching I finally found some Urethane mounts that are flat. Meaning the 3 holes in the triangle pattern and a threaded hole in the middle of the mount on the otherside for a stud or bolt. I'm not usre how they are made just yet. I'm going this afternoon to go and take a look to make sure they are the correct ones. I want to make sure that we can modify the section where it needs the bolt clearance. If they are the ones; 26.00 each. Not too bad. I will post ASAP. icon_biggrin.gif

RXO, if you do find a urethane mount to replace that old GM one, that'll be a nice piece of info.

I can't remember whether the JTR spec'd GM mount is a "safety" interlocking type or not, but I think it's NOT. If the urethane one is, that'd be a boon.

I think it'd be a great idea to change the mount design to use an interlocking mount. Yeah, you'd have to move away from the flat plate with holes approach of the JTR method, but it'd be nice. Personally, I want a good interlocking rubber mount, not a stiffer Urethane one.

quote:

Originally posted by Omar:

Why would you wanna get urethane motor mounts? I thought the whole point of the GM original parts was that the rubber was softer and thus transmitted less vibrations??

Omar, the poly mounts do transmit more vibes, but they are also stronger and offer less movement--better for a performance setup, IMO, than the stock ones. For the most part, I have been happy with the feel of the GM mounts on the HybridZ's that I have driven and been in, but I like the idea of polyurethane mounts AND they look better(especially red)!!!!

BLKMGK, I remember that old thread about your mount woes and the research you went through to get them, and the final result--nothing! However, in principle it is very difficult for me to believe there is not an ES application that would fit our conversions--the idea that we are locked into a specific mount for trucks and that's it just does not seem reasonable to me. I'm almost positive it is just a matter of time until we find an ES (or similar) mount the works very well in place of the GM softies. Just my $.02.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I like all these new icons! Like the bandanna? Yeah, I'm cool like dat. icon_razz.gif

Anywho, does anybody have any recommendations for a mount that is cheap, and is somewhere in between the GM "softies' and poly mounts in terms of stiffness? If the stock ones are a 3 in terms of harshness and the poly ones are 6, then I'm looking for something like a 4-4.5... How do regular el-cheapo ones compare?

ever see how a motor torques when you rev it, with the stock mounts you can see it torque around, when the urethanes and drag race shocks, man the whole car torques over, its fresh....

you might have a bumpier ride, but your power comes on right on time!

Just got back from 6 different performance shops in southern CA. Good news is that there is a company that makes urethane mounts for the JTR setup. 3 holes (triangle shape) and a single threaded hole on the otherside. FastZcar has already provided us with the info. Prothane of Costa Mesa, CA. Wholesale only. Suspension.com and Team C in Bellflower, CA carry products from Prothane. 562 866 3887 (RON; Knows about HybridZ now. Ask for him.)

All the shops that told me they had this mount were stunned when they thought they had this mount and didn't. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Very frustrating!!

My last stop was Team C and they ordered a set for me. I will be getting mines on monday. 75.00 for the pair. Ron the manager told me he has never seen urethane mounts the way I described them. So he made many calls for me to see if those urethane mounts existed. Couldn't find one company. I saw the Prothane pamphlet (remembered seeing this name from a post)on the counter and started looking through it. PN# 7-509 63 - 72 trucks 350 SB. He called them and asked them to pull it out of the box so that they can describe the part to him. Sure enough, it was what I had described to him earlier.

There is a person that makes his own Urethane mounts and bushings that I see at the Long Beach Swap Meet. Nov. 25 th is the next one. I will be taking the mounts to see if he can possibly make some. You just ever know. icon_biggrin.gif I will keep trying.

"ya omar I did rip both motor mounts."

I shredded my Sealed Power motor mounts, I'll have to get some pics up at some time. Even a metal lip sheared thru. Nothing wild about my mill either. If budget's tight cheaper ones than GM can't hurt, just check them once in a while and when you feel a shudder at start up check REAL close to spare your air cleaner/hood union as the least of your worries. The GM units are smoother than my Sealed Power and in my dad's LT1240Z they're v. smooth as well.