HybridZ

"Special" Engine stand for the L6?

Guest TKR514

Newbie question:

I'm removing the L6 from the 280ZX soon. Do I need the Nissan srecommended engine stand that bolts to the side of the L6 OR can I use a regular engine stand that supports the L6 only from the rear? It's a long engine... I did not know if it can be safely supported ONLY from the transmission boltholes without undue stress or allow bending/twisting of the block during re-assembly.

Thanks for any info!

Better stated, does supporting only the rear of the engine induce a "hook" or bend in the engine that is a bad thing when reinstalling the head or manifolds?

Guest Anonymous

You should be able to fabricate and adapt an L6 engine attachment to a heavy duty wide four (4) wheel based engine stand. The engine adapter should be made out of 3/8 inch plate or possibly you can still purchase the engine attachment(sto 5340001) from Nissan.

Guest Anonymous

TKR... Wait for some more responses to this question. The L6 may require side mounting due to the load 'stress' bellhousing mounting could cause. One way is to bell house mount on a regular engine stand and only install short block parts: crank,rods and pistons, oil pan and then everything else with engine in car.

My L6 with manifolds and carbs still attached has been on a four wheel engine stand for over two years now. It is mounted to the bellhousing bolt holes with the arms that came with the stand. I don't see any reason to purchase a special stand. I got mine off eBay and it is a basic heavy duty stand. Just my $0.02 though.

I too have had a few L6's on on the cheap 3 wheeled stands with turbo and manifolds and no problems. Make sure to get the center of the rotating mount of the stand as high as you can on the motor, it will make it alot easier to rotate. Don't line up the center of the mount with the center of the crank, or lower.

Guest Anonymous

Fellows: Keep in mund that the 3 wheeled engine stands are a lttle unstable and can tip over like the old tricycles we used to ride. I have both but feel more comfortable moving or turning an engine on a 4 wheel stand

Originally posted by TKR514:

Better stated, does supporting only the rear of the engine induce a "hook" or bend in the engine that is a bad thing when reinstalling the head or manifolds?

Nope. Regular stand, engine supported from the back, no problemo.