HybridZ

First Start - Oil Pressure Reading

Hello-

Fired my LS1 240z for the first time last night. Removed the VATS using HP Tuners and it fired up. I'm using the factory 240 gauges and the oil pressure reading using the Datsun sending unit appears low on the face of the gauge at idle once fully warm. I would say the indicator is at the lower 1/8th of the gauge or less. The engine doesn't rattle so I'm not concerned about actual pressure, just looking to get the factory gauge to appear correct and not as if I have a pressure problem.

Could anyone tell me how their factory oil pressure gauge appears at idle with the engine fully warm? Does the gauge sit around 1/3 on the gauge face etc?

Thanks in advance for the feedback...

Definently would buy a separate gauge to check it because my oil pickup tube o-ring was bad and with the rear of the car lower than the front the oil pressure will drop to zero. Any gas jumps it up to 30-40 psi. Funny what a $4 red o-ring will fix. I just have to lift the motor to get to the front bolts on the oil pan yippee... Not looking forward to it.

Congrats on the first start!!!

I guess I didn't hold my tongue right haha I just changed the oil and kept driving it lol. I'll try it again this week. Vintage air came in today, I'll see what I can do while I'm in the engine bay. Still shoulda changed it out while the motor was out of the car

Yes. I marked the gauge with a sharpie when I had the L6 in it. The gauge reads at the same spot now with the LS that it did with the L6. I have been down with a wicked cold. Will try to send you a photo tonight. PM your ph# to me so I can just send a photo from my phone to yours.

Compared my OEM oil pressure gauge readings with Rebekha's.  Mine appears significantly lower.  Bought a $25 mechanical pressure gage to verify actual values.  Hopefully I'll have time to work on it this weekend.  Thanks for the photos/assistance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the mechanical gauge. 45 - 55 psi at cold idle. Looks like my Datsun sending unit is suspect. Put about 80 miles on the car this weekend - what a blast to drive. Still need to shake a few bugs out but overall no major issues.

A big shout out to all of those who helped me and posted their experiences over the past two years while I was planning and working on my conversion.

I have the LS1 and am using the stock sending unit and gage. At around 2,000 RPM the oil pressure is mid gauge. At idle or cruising in 6th at 60 it's at about 1/4 gauge. I'm not having any issues with my motor and it's been this way for years. I had to replace my sending unit last year as it went south on me and I had to be turning about 2,500 RPM to get a good reading and it went to 0 when I was at idle.

Edited by Phantom

• 1 month later...

Phantom - That's about what mine does...  basically 0 at idle and good readings at higher RPMs.  The gauge is slow to react to RPM changes.  I'll swap the sending unit out this winter.  Having too much fun driving it while the weather is good.  I've racked 700 trouble free miles so far.  Passed emissions with no problem.  Cam and a few other mods are next - needs a little more power.

post-25803-0-18033500-1410925727_thumb.jpg