HybridZ

what diff. do i have?

David K

Guest 240hybrid

I dont know off the top of my head, some other guys might though. I do know that if you remove the rear cover plate and find the numbers on the gear to calculate your ratio all you have to do is some simple division. Example 3.7x11 gets you a 3.36 gear after dividing. Easy enough and exact.

Guest greimann

Working out the MPH at 3000 RPM using a 215/60-15 tire and .864 OD, a 3.36 gear would give you 77.34 MPH and a 3.7 gives you 70.24 MPH.

You have a 3.36 in your car.

David,

My R200 came out of a 79 and it is a 3.70!

I didn`t think 3.36 even came in a R200??? (don`t know 4 sure)

Try to get someone with a 79 Nissan service manual to look at specs!

I also got the 5 speed out of same car and it has an odd gear ratio, different from other 5 speeds!

Ck the specs in the Nissan manual 4 79 and like early 80`s, it shows the differences!

Guest greimann
Originally posted by David Karey:

.... Its a 79 280zx, never changed the diff....

This was what I was basing my research on. The ratio of 3.36 still works out, unless you have changed the transmission too?

Oh, well i thought the diff i was putting in was the same one. I looked around online and found out the 77 was a different diff. What i mean to say is that i never changed it to another ratio. I was under the assumption the 77 and 79 shared the same diff. This is too confusing.

Guest greimann

Ok. The best way determine your ratio without opening the case is this: Roll the car so the tires make exactly one revolution. At the same time look at the driveshaft and accurately count how many revolutions it makes. 3.36 driveshaft revs is a 3.36 ratio and so on. Don't run over yourself doing this and if you put it up on jack stands, turn BOTH tires the same direction.

Also, if the diff side half shaft yoke has a single bolt in the middle holding it in, then it is an R180. If the diff side yolk has 4 small bolts in the flange, then it is an R200.

Originally posted by David Karey:

quote:

Originally posted by Greimann:

Dave,

Explain how you think it is an R200, because my book says it should be an R180 with a 3.36.
I took it out of a 77 that was a race car.

77-78 MT (3.545) (R200)

77-78 AT (3.545) (R180)

Guest 240hybrid

Its a good idea to mark the points you pick on your tire and driveshaft with a piece of chalk or something, so as to make sure you get an accurate number as far as revolutions of the tire and shaft. Simple tip that helps to keep you from having to start all over or get wrong ratios. I dont know about you, but I like to spend as little time laying under my car as possible. good luck on finding out your ratio. Also a R-200 uses 12mm bolts to hold the cover plate on and a R180 has 14mm bolts on the cover plate if your still in debate on that. Good luck 2thumbs.gif