HybridZ

Big Turbo on L6 ?

clear2me

Leon, its not about goals, its about safety margin. E85 doesn't foul plugs like gasoline when you go too rich, instead it just starts making less power, which is why people get away with running huge nozzles for meth with only basic control of it. The big upside to this property is that it also cools the chamber and lowers EGTs when they get beyond where you want them.

And if I happen to make more whp than anyone non-intercooled (that I've seen) then so be it. :-)

IMO, if you have a properly designed system you would not want to run anything smaller than a 35r on an L6.  Turbine wheel efficiency is as important as compressor wheel efficiency when trying to make power.  What I see as an issue on the L6 is a lack of exhaust manifolds that are designed for a twinscroll turbine housing to stagger the exhaust pulses and enhance spool.  TimZ provided data regarding spool of a 42r for his setup, but that spool would be increased if he were able to utilize a twin scroll exhaust manifold.  If TimZ would ever bring his car down to Charlotte I would build him a custom twinscroll turbo header for that 42r. :D

As an reference, I used to run a GTX3576r with 1.06 a/r T4 TS turbine housing on my 2.0L EVO and it would make 31psi@4156rpm in 3rd gear.  Having played around with several twinscroll setups I would not do an OS header on a street car.  The pics below are my current setup with GTX3582r with 1.01 a/r v-band TS and 3.5" exhaust.

38Gates3.JPG

38Gates9.JPG

38Gates10.JPG

38Gates4.JPG