HybridZ

Desktop dyno revisited

If you guys with DD2000 don't mind, could you punch some numbers for me? Pretty Please!

350ci

STD bore

Flat top pistons (9.8:1)

Vortec heads (with factory(SDPC)upgraded valve springs)

RPM Performer Inlet Manifold

Holley 750 double pumper, mech. secondaries, with 1 inch spacer between it and manifold.

Cam figures as follows:

Cam lift: Int.=.300 Exh.=.307

Valve Lift: Int.=.450 Exh.=.460

Lobe centers: Both=114

Adv. Dur.: Int.=292 Exh=288

0.050 Dur.: Both=224

If there is a good deal of HP to be made with another cam (worthy of the work to swap), any recommendations. I would want the cam to make most of it's power at about 3500 RPM.

I have ordered my copy of DD2000, but am getting impatient to get some numbers.

Thanks,

Tim

I don,t have DD-2000 but the program I do have works well and it says you have someware close to 355hp and 380 ft lbs at the flywheel. most of the flat tappet hydrolic cams that fit this engine will not give a huge boost in hp over the cam you picked mostly because your limited as to valve lift with out further head mods(like a good pocket port and 3 angle valve job) but just for fun I tryied the CRANE hydrolic roller cam #119661 (set in at 6 deg retarded)(BTW its ground 6 degs advanced) that gave you 432hp and 444 ft lbs but you would need to also work the heads for more clearance and buy the whole kit (.539/.558 lift 230/236@.050 dur 112 LSA

Thanks Grumpy,

Bit disappointed in the numbers, thought it would be 20 or so HP more. Oh well. Any different cam suggestions. I know CHP got 400+ HP out of this kinda setup with a pretty wild cam. icon_eek.gif

Thanks for the info....

Tim

Guest Fast Frog

Tim240Z:

I ran your specs on my DD2000 with a couple of additional guesses: That you'd be using small tube headers with muffs and a single plane manifold. I also factored in a set of heads with at least pocket porting and 2.02/1.60 valves. It gave me about 375HP@ 5500 and 385FP@ 4500. I then changed one parameter-from a hyd flat tappet cam to a hyd roller like the one I've got in my setup(.488/.509 lift and 214/222 deg duration). Torq jumped to 430FP@ 3500 and HP came in 365@ 5000. You might consider a roller cam of some kind cause the performance diff is noticable.

Rick

Rick, you have to watch DD2K.

It's buried in the online pdf manual, but selecting "roller" for a mild roller like that will give very optimistic results. I believe their suggestion is to select "solid" for mild street rollers. Run it like that and those numbers will come down quite a bit - to realistic numbers.

That's one of the things I really hate about DD2K. If they at least let you put in BOTH the advertised "seat-to-seat" (.006" lift, whatever) and 0.050" durations, they could calculate how intense the lope was and make a better estimate than leaving it up to the user to select cam type, IMHO. Watch using those "pocket ported" heads too - they flow better than some ported heads.

hey Grumpy, Could I possibly get you to run these numbers,Please. I had started an earlier post re: under powered 350 sbc. Well just installed new motor. Hopefully this will cure my under powered blues.

Its a sbc 350, three over, 10.4 to 1 comp. 64cc edlebrock rpm heads, air gap intake , cam is a roller comp cams extreme energy 236/242..520/540 with 1.5 roller rockers, pete Jackson drive gear and 1 5/8's Sanderson block huggers into 2 1/4" duel pipes and spintech mufflers. All msd ignition. Trannie is a vette 700r4. with 2600 stall.

Thanks for any guesses in the hp/torque range.

zfan...Mike

Tim240Z

there is not much wrong with that build other that the cam (224/224 deg.450/.460 lift) is too mild with those heads and you need good exhaust flow to pull high hp numbers, that size cam is meant for good torque and mid range power)going to a victor jr intake(YOU CAN GET GOOD HIGH RPM HP WITH A DUAL PLANE INTAKE BUT ITS EASYIER WITH THE VICTOR JR) and CRANE #114681 solid lifter or a comp cams xe284h hydrolic will help a bunch if you don,t want to get a expensive roller cam.(either one will get you close to 420 hp) (the crane will rpm better the comp is less work to adjust)but the intake change is necessary to use the rpm potential of either cam.look at it this way a dual plane rpm intake and a 224 deg dur. cam are at their most effective rpm range from 3000rpm-5000rpm changeing to a single plane victor jr and a 244 deg cam moves the effective rpm range 1500rpm higher to 4500rpm-6500rpm now hp= torque x rpm/5252 so if you have 375 ft lbs at 4500rpm that equals 321 hp but moveing the torque curve up 1000 rpm to 5500rpm=392 hp so you may see that if your getting more torque from the better breathing cam from both the greater lift and durration, plus moveing the torque curve up in the rpm range you improve the total so lets say that cam gives you 375ft lbs at 6000rpm (which the computer say they both will) thats about 428 hp (CLOSER TO YOUR GOAL???)of course a good roller cam will beat any flat tappet cam,, check this ;and notice that even with a roller cam because the durration was less that220 degs the power stayed under 350hp!and notice on the other site what better flowing heads AND cams with 230degs plus dur. can do!!(COMBO #84 IS CLOSE TO YOURS)

http://www.idavette.net/hib/camcon.htm

http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos.html

Guest Anonymous

Can you run one for me?

350 .30 over = 355

CR =10.25

Rods = 6 inch

Carb = 750dp

Intake = Vic Jr.

Heads = chevy 492s highly ported 2.02in 1.6ex

Cam = Comp Cams 292 Hyd Lift

Lift =.501

Dur at 50 = 244

Ign = MSD 6AL

Headers = 1 3/4 full length

bubafett

computer estimates you have 412hp@ 6100rpm and 395 ft lbs @5000rpm btw thats well matched setup but the cam in this case is just a tiny bit off perfect(according to the cumputer) , the CRANE #114681 shows a slight boost to 430 hp and 420 ft lbs

Peternell Im not useing DD-2000 IM useing a custom program thats more closely related to ENGINE ANALYZER but both programs are available from JEGS DD-2000-$50 E A _$129

Guest Anonymous

Grumpy,

THANKS,

Can you program conclude what a set of AFR 195 Heads would do with my same combo. I have been saving money in the swear jar... and need to spend it.

I appreciate your knowledge

You left out some important info(carb size so I guessed at 750 cfm) but as that engine is you should have close to 392hp@6000rpm/385 ft lbs @5000rpm changeing to a victor jr intake with the 750 carb and 1.75 full length headers jumps you too 425hp/415 ft lbs (closed exhaust)450hp@6400rpm/425@5000rpm ft lbs (open headers)

Grumpy,

From what I have read, the Vortecs flow better than the edelbrocks.....where am I losing HP? I believe that the upgraded valvetrain on the Vortecs can handle up to .600 lift (I'll have to phone Scoggin Dicky to confirm). I will be building up a 400 after the car has been running a while, but I want this motor to work a bit better than 350 hp or so !!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Thanks guys for the number crunching....much appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

Tim