HybridZ

245 tires without flared fenders?

Actually, a 9" wide wheel with zero offset has more than 4.5" of backspace. The wheel width is the dimension between the inside the lips of the rim. Backspace is measured from the hub mounting surface to the outside of the wheel lip. So, backspace for a 9" wide wheel is 4.5" plus the thickness of the rim, which in some cases, might be another 10 mm or even a little more.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

So, Not to thread jack, but I have a set of Sportmax 002's 16x8 I believe. I think they're 0 offset, and I was thinking of putting 225-50-16's or 225-45-16's on them, but if I can get 245's that would be awesome.  I'm probably going to have to have the tire shop experiment a bit.    I have the Michelin Pilot's on my Z32 and I love them.   I was thinking I'd use them on the S30.

The Stock OEM tires on my 78' were 195-70-R14's which show an outer diameter of about 25", so if I go with 225-50-R16's the diameter will be almost exactly the same, but much wider.  245's would need to be 245-45-r16's to keep the same diameter.

What I really wonder about is how important is it to keep the wheel width in line with the tire width.  eg 225-50-R16 on an 8" wheel is ~1" wider tire than the inner mounting surface of the rim. IMHO an almost perfect fit. But, that same Wheel with a 245-45-R16 tire is almost 2 inches wider than the rim.  Which tells me we may get some extra roll over around corners.  How apparent is that compared to riding on a 9" or ever 10" wheel?

You want whatever width wheel the tire mfg specifies for your particular tire. They generally publish a recommended width and an upper and lower width limit for any given tire. 245/45/16 is SLIM PICKINS for tires. You'll have to find the tire first, then work backwards from there.

Look at posts 6,7,8 on the first page. He runs 245/50 on an 8" wide wheel with +10 offset, and still had to roll the fenders to avoid rubbing. I can't imagine it would work at all with a 0 offset wheel- you'd chew up your fenders completely. 

Edited by thedarkie