HybridZ

1978 280Z 5.3L T56 Build

Just a small update: I ordered the Randy Ellis motor mounts, they should be here sometime next week. Last night I patched up the engine bay on the drivers side (pictures coming soon) and also made a large patch for where the hood mount used to be (completely rusted out) and welded that in as well. I also made a patch (1/8 thick) for above the rocker in front of the driver side door so I can weld a support bar up to the top of the inner fender. I finally have my welder with the car so I should continue to have updates!! 

Also if anyone has some good tips for welding this terrible original datsun sheetmetal feel free to chim in... PITA! I am using 035 wire (which may be too large but it's all I have). Patience is going to be key for this aspect of the project. 

Question: Anyone order fenders from BlackDragonAuto? Are they worth the money? I am in Michigan so every fender I look at are in terrible shape and mine are completely rotted out. Suggestions welcome, I know $200 is a lot per fender but I absolutely hate welding this old thin sheetmetal.

Just a small update: I ordered the Randy Ellis motor mounts, they should be here sometime next week. Last night I patched up the engine bay on the drivers side (pictures coming soon) and also made a large patch for where the hood mount used to be (completely rusted out) and welded that in as well. I also made a patch (1/8 thick) for above the rocker in front of the driver side door so I can weld a support bar up to the top of the inner fender. I finally have my welder with the car so I should continue to have updates!! 

Also if anyone has some good tips for welding this terrible original datsun sheetmetal feel free to chim in... PITA! I am using 035 wire (which may be too large but it's all I have). Patience is going to be key for this aspect of the project. 

Question: Anyone order fenders from BlackDragonAuto? Are they worth the money? I am in Michigan so every fender I look at are in terrible shape and mine are completely rotted out. Suggestions welcome, I know $200 is a lot per fender but I absolutely hate welding this old thin sheetmetal.

I have heard aftermarket fenders do not fit well. The body lines are crap not to mention they are like coke cans, really cheap metal. I was able to locate 2 Nissan fenders for my 280Z just by calling around dealer to dealer. Not cheap by any means but cheaper than spending a bunch of money at the body shop. I would buy used before I bought aftermarket, just my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing what sort of options you go with. I am working on a 78 280z but its the 2+2 model. I am pretty much at the same point you are. I still haven't planned what all is going into the z cause I am trying to get alot of the rust removed. I've got everything interior-wise removed exept the dash. I've got the floor pans removed and plan on welding in the frame rails from www.baddogparts.com as to which I will have to modify the passenger side rail because it is too short.

It sure is a pain to deal with the rust issues on these cars huh? Good thing there are plenty of resources.

Looking forward to seeing what sort of options you go with. I am working on a 78 280z but its the 2+2 model. I am pretty much at the same point you are. I still haven't planned what all is going into the z cause I am trying to get alot of the rust removed. I've got everything interior-wise removed exept the dash. I've got the floor pans removed and plan on welding in the frame rails from www.baddogparts.com as to which I will have to modify the passenger side rail because it is too short.

It sure is a pain to deal with the rust issues on these cars huh? Good thing there are plenty of resources.

Yeah it's been a pain, but I'm finally making progress on the engine bay.

I have been working the past few nights on patches for where the rust completely ruined the battery box (which I am going to re-locate to the rear) and near the driver side hood latch, and I added some support bars from the rocker to the inner fender. I have attached some pictures, don't judge too hard. I am learning a lot on this project already. 

The next big hurdle to get over is front suspension, I've read so much on here I feel like at times there are so many opinions that I can make much sense of it, and most of the information I read is for 240s. I'd love to order the ground control coilover kit this weekend, not 100% on which springs to get, 250/200 or 300/250? Not sure on which shocks/struts to order either. Illumina BZ3012 here (http://thmotorsports.com/tokico/tokico_shocks_illumina_series/bz3012/i-526852.aspx) are for a 280Z but if I section the struts in the front are these going to not fit. Guess I need to continue to research. I am going to order the T3 camber plates this weekend so I can get those burned in and really have the engine bay more prepped. Any input would be appreciated. 

Found a couple t56 trans in my area for decent prices, need to really know my stuff first before I go purchase, most of the transmissions I'm looking at are out of 95 camaros, just need to make sure that's going to work for my application with the 5.3

Decided to go with the 5 lug / wilwood front brake kit from Will's writeup. I'll probably order a few of those parts as well this weekend.

IMG 1756

IMG 1762

IMG 1760

IMG 1763

My build is very similar to yours. Maybe a little less rust repairs but I finished that battery box area a few weeks back and just got the car up on the rotisserie last night, so I can start installing the bad dog frame rails. But I'll start my own build thread shortly, just wanted to let you know I feel your pain.

From my research, you will have to change the input shaft if you buy a t56 from a 95 Camaro. The 95 had an LT1, and the 5.3 is an ls type motor. You need a t56 from a '98-02 F-Body, '04-06 GTO, or Cadillac cts-v. A Corvette t56 won't work either, the case is different. There is someone selling a t56 out of an '02 Camaro with 82k for $1000 on ls1tech right now, which is usually what the lt1 t56 goes for.

Edited by JoeK

My build is very similar to yours. Maybe a little less rust repairs but I finished that battery box area a few weeks back and just got the car up on the rotisserie last night, so I can start installing the bad dog frame rails. But I'll start my own build thread shortly, just wanted to let you know I feel your pain.

From my research, you will have to change the input shaft if you buy a t56 from a 95 Camaro. The 95 had an LT1, and the 5.3 is an ls type motor. You need a t56 from a '98-02 F-Body, '04-06 GTO, or Cadillac cts-v. A Corvette t56 won't work either, the case is different. There is someone selling a t56 out of an '02 Camaro with 82k for $1000 on ls1tech right now, which is usually what the lt1 t56 goes for.

Joe - I appreciate your knowledge with the t56, and I actually went ahead and bought the trans on ls1tech for $1000! We have a transmission folks!! I'm glad the search is over, and it should give me even more ambition to get the engine bay finished this weekend!!