HybridZ

Which Tremec 6 Speed Ratios?

Phantom, that’s the best advice anyone can give. Especially the part about sticking to the vision you have for the car. I can tell you from experience that changing directions in a build can get very expensive as well as have an effect on other things. One thing I added to my build that was not planned was a direct port Nitrous system that to be honest I will most likely never use. An 820hp S30 will be almost impossible to handle on the street even with drag radials.  I really like the look of a direct port system and that’s why I did it, however a $2000 add on turned into a $10,000 add on really quick after going with a TR6060 to handle the power, a twin disk clutch set up, bigger intake, throttle body, and adding 2 Nitrous computers and the proper sensors. Not to mention the stainless tubing I still need to run as a Nitrous line as well as go with a bigger fuel pump in case I do spray it I don’t lean out and blow the engine.

By going to the bigger intake I had a problem with the water pump as the top of the water pump would hit the bottom of the intake so I had to have it modified, then I wanted to run steam vents in all 4 corners of the heads and bought a kit online. The steam vent kit was intended for a stock intake so I had to have 2 of the fitting modified by a machine shop. So as you can see, one change affected so much and of course it all cost money. I don’t regret what I have done so far because I think it looks great but if I had to do it all over again I may not have done it. Just something to keep in mind when you are choosing components for your build.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So this looks like a T56 Magnum (which is all T6060 internals) and additional upgrades depending on what options you selected with a Camaro T56 tail for fit. It looks like they all get upgraded bronze shift pads and carbon blocker rings 1-4. The level 5 gets a cryo treatment and REM polish. Does that sound about right?

yes sir, that's it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm leaning toward the wide ratio because 1-4 are more evenly spaced and I would like a low RPM cruise for economy and comfort on the highway.

I hate to admit this but I am seriously considering using a Ford engine in this project. I know it's like heresy to speak here, especially on this part of the forum, but that new Voodoo engine is really cool. It has both the sound and high RPM capability that I dearly love about the Z now. I may put a Coyote in it for now and in a couple of years when I can get a 5.2L Voodoo go that route.

I haven't decided for sure. Already have a LS3 mock-up block and know that engine inside and out which makes the decision that much harder. I just can't get the sound and RPM I really want with the LS. Plus the way the engines deliver the power, the DOHC with VVT would work much better at having the high RPM with low cruise speed and hit better down low so the car isn't all over the place in the lower gears.

Edited by jpndave

Width is 2" narrower than the strut towers and that should be the worst of it. I'm a little worried about the alternator and A/C, both low and forward. Ford is going to offer the Voodoo as a crate. Over 500hp and 8,000+RPM with that engine. Should be lighter than even an LS with the flat crank. 

The Coyote engine as well as the Voodoo are good motors however, I think for street use it’s all about personal preference. As Phantom said, do not lose sight of the intended purpose of the car. I don’t see why you would need an 8000 rpm motor on the street. Having the power hit differently at low rpm’s can be easily controlled by using the proper cam set up on the LS engine for your intended use as well as controlling your right foot. :D As for sound that boils down to personal preference for sure.

One big plus about the LS motors is the availability of parts and how much cheaper they are vs Coyote or Voodoo parts. Last but not least there are much more LS swaps on S30’s vs Coyote and Voodoo engines so if you run into any issues you can always get support from people that are veterans to the LS swap instead of redesigning the wheel on your own.

Either way you decide to go it should be a fun car to drive.