HybridZ

06 gto ls2 swap 240z Not Cranking

Hey guys, I purchase a wrecked gto for my transplant that ran and drove for my swap. Drove the car prior to pulling the engine and the key fob has been broken this whole time. Now we can't even get the engine to crank over. We have power where it needs to be, but for some reason we aren't getting power to the starter. From what I've been reading, VATS could be an issue but I haven't found any way to figure out if thats the problem or not. Does Vats disable cranking or will it just disable the fuel injectors? Kinda at my wits end at this point.

Have you tested your starter? Just a thought. I don't know how you have your starter ran but is your solenoid burnt out? Is there power on both sides? Ground good? Like I'm sure you know.it's not that complex of a system so it might be in the vats. What method are you using for the vats removal and ecu tune?

Checked and rechecked the grounds and they seem to be good. Jumped the starter over manually and it cranks over fine so that's not burnt out. Everything in the starting circuit seems to be working and hooked up correctly which leads me to think that it may be some anti theft nonsense. Right now we have everything in the z and are just trying to get the engine running with the stock ecu and not messing with vats at the moment. 

It sounds like you have a few things going on. Who reworked your harness? Are you trying to go through the GTO original harness and PCM to trigger the starter?

I would go straight to the starter for that wire, not through the GM harness. The PCM will need to be flashed for it to run. You don't need the body module for engine operation.

HP tuners or EFI live can disable the VATS and set your parameters to what you need in the Z. We have both here but usually use HP Tuners. Depending on how you have your engine wired, you'll want VATS disabled, tire size and gear ratio set, speed input set depending on what you have for VSS, emissions turned off if you aren't running it, tach set to a 6 cylinder out probably (4 hi and 4 low on a Gen 3, Gen 4 is a little fussier as 58 isn't easily divided by 6 but 5 high and 5 low gets you close enough). On the Gen 3 it's possible to get full operation out of the PCM only, even cruise. I deal with this stuff every day. Let me know if I can help.

Right now we just have the gto harness in the z but it's unmolested so far. We just wanted to get the engine running before moving on. Didn't think about anti theft stuff stopping us from starting it. Well that's definitely a relief because we were at our wits end thinking maybe our pcm went bad during the swap or something. Thanks!