HybridZ

Turbo Rotary in a 240Z!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm very interested in putting a turbocharged three rotary in my '71. What is required for engine swap? What do the costs look like? Is there a website out there that shows a Z that has done this, or shows how to do this?

Thanks,

------------------

Z Red Baron

I would conntact Peter Farrel Supercars in Manasses Va He is the king of 20G's I would use a tec-11 from electromotive these motors are not cheap but properly tuned will produce incredible power the one in a 2nd gen rx-7 that is owned by george samulson made over 700 whp on the dyno check it out at www.rx-7.org under 2nd gen's

------------------

rx7260z@yahoo.com

Speed Power Performance& Style. What else is there?

I'm sorry I misstyped the correct name for a 3 rotor is a 20b the car can be found at theweb site I supplied but you need to click the round logo click members scrool down to george's car and click on the photo's or the description to the right of the photo

------------------

rx7260z@yahoo.com

Speed Power Performance& Style. What else is there?

Peter?! Oh man - hide your wallet before calling! Peter is a bit infamous in the RX7 world. He's right up the street from me, as is Electromotive, and I'd only goto him as a last resort. There are several shops doing the 3rotor work including at least one I've run across in the MidWest. Peter did it first (that I know of) this is true but if you talk to somone involved closely with that first one it was a bit of a hack. The second he did was MUCH better as they learned from previous problems.

IMO - it would be neat but I'm not real sure this is a swap I'd pursue. As an RX7 owner i can tell you that finding qualified mechanics to work on these engines is tough. Get spark knock just once and you can conceivably kiss apex seals goodbye - can you say rebuild?! Learn lot's about this before you plunge in. Get on the RX7 mailing list (mention Peter, watch the firefight) and join the WEB Board for the RX7s before you get too serious about this. Those motors aren't cheap either so beware....

http://www.rx7club.com/cgi-bin//Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

• 1 month later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000

My friend has an RX-7, and he was looking into getting a 20B for it. He was quoted a price of $6000-$9000 for it. They are expensive, and are only used in the Cosmo over in Japan.

Guest Anonymous

I can't seem to find it now, but I saw on the net that someone had taken a two rotor, added another section to it to make it a three rotor. Obviously alot of machine work and a intimate knowledge of rotaries was involved. Oh yeah, I found this while I was looking, check out the engine on this Rx7:

1744.jpg

icon_smile.gif,

Lone

i have sourced this out allready but dont have the bucks .for a motor try www.corksport.com or raver motorsports in fresno ca.around $3500.has turbos but no ic or electronics.for bellhousing try kennedy engineered products-they list a bellhousing for mazda to american trans pattern.the only fi people i have heard of for mazda 3 rotor is electromotive.also a company called redline that does sand buggy mazda conversions.the sand rail guys are using these and getting over 500 hp on pump gas and 12 psi boost.

Too bad you can't see her apex seals....

But seriously, a 20B would be nice, but how much torque would you have? A fun car should also be fun to drive, like at the intersection, struggling to keep the front wheels from lifting and landing on the back of the car in front of you icon_smile.gif

But the most important thing is, if you wanna do it. DO IT! That's what makes the Hybrids so great, their innovations.

Owen

Fastest Z car I have EVER seen was a white 75 280 with a big assed Mack Truck intercooler laying down in the nose, and a B20 in the engine bay... Car had Marsh Racing 3 piece Carbon/ aluminum wheels and nice suspension... It was another Z Dr. creation out of Roanoke, Va. and I wonder if that car is still around.... Fast Fast Car...

Mike icon_biggrin.gif

PS, I like her lobes, but I'd like to inspect her pop off valve....

Couldn't resist... icon_razz.gif

Oh man, VERY nice engine! But I'm having troouble seeing it's fine detail, I'm more sort of a braille kind of guy icon_biggrin.gif

Wish my intake looked that good, the piping to it is polished (I've got that Greddy elbow) but it looks silly with a cast intake. Having polished Ford uppers I know what a bear it is to get it that clean. NOt fun....