HybridZ

Z's on the salt ????

Ray

I was just rereading the thread on aerodynamics and the Z. I remember seeing pictures of a 280z turbo at the salt flats about 10 years ago. Anybody know who it might have been???? In the life of the Z car someone has to have gone 200 with one!!!!! That may be where we find our aero data without having to reinvent the wheel.

I have the article at home and will dig it up tonight. I don't recall the intercooler splitting, but I'll double check that. I think it ran about 178mph and remember that they ran a G-nose, some side skirts and headlight covers on it to clean up the lines. I'll post actual data from BOTH articles tonight. It was a two part series and one of the issues was their "Aerodynamics" issue.

Speaking of which, last month HiPo chevy had a very good article on Aerodynamics and a write up on a 3rd generation camaro that went 184mph in the NSSC with about 345 RWHP.... It made for VERY GOOD reading!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I thought it was a z it may have been a zx.

What I was looking for was, in the past 30 years someone has to have fixed the aero problems that the Z has at high speed. All we have to do is find someone who has done this before. This will give a much better knoledge base to build from. I was hoping someone ( LA guys ) knew of a Z that was run on the salt. Does anyone know if SCTA has records on line or does anybody have a contact that races the Salt or Lakes???

Another thought may be the road racing Z's and what did they do to deal with the same problem??

Why reinvent the wheel??

BZZZZTTT! Wrong answer...

Issues Summer 1995 and Winter 1996 deal with the 1978 280Z with an aftermarket Switzer 3ld279 Turbo, forged pistons, Oringed block, SIDE PIPES!!! and a Gnose and headlight covers.. In their 1st attemp at the salt flats they managed 167.44 with 286 flywheel HP... Until they pulled the line for the wastegate and promptly destroyed a piston...

In the next installment (1996 article) they had plumbed in an elaborate intercooler, and newer smaller turbo. And I do stand corrected.. the top of the new intercooler did blow off on Dyno test runs before heading back to the salt flats.. However, they did manage 185 miles per hour average on the 1st run and 184.3 miles per hour on the return run..

Other Zcar mag issues worth getting:

Spring 1996 V8 issue

Summer 1999 150mph V8 Z runs the Nevada ssc

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

I think the one he's talking about is a 280zx turbo. It had stock electronics and injectors and used multiple cold start injectors for extra fuel. Every 5 psi an extra cold start injector would open up.

It's in an old ZCM and also in some book on turbochargers I have.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

About 10 years ago I was at Bonneville during speed week and there was a 280ZX, black with the number "280" on the side. It was owned by "faster-n-you" racing in Oregon. He was running a turbo, a T50 and had rigged up an intercooler in the passenger seat in a box filled with ice. He held the record for his class at that time of 202mph. I don't recall any major changes to the front end for aerodynamics.

Larry

Ray,

My scanner is busted, bit the car was painted black and had a Gnose and some side skirts. I remember them running a differential cooler and I think they welded the rear end to make it a locked diff. I'll doublecheck tonight...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

mjk

• 4 months later...

I know you guys are probably tired of my wierd stories, but I'll tell a short one here and follow up on it later. Last week my 3hp compressor motor went south, so while talking to the fix-it guy (old hot rodder) about my Z, he told me of a guy in Cabot (about 45 minute drive from here) that had a salt flat Z car. I asked if he didn't mean a Z28, and he was very sure it was the jap variety. Anyway he said this guy recently brought the car back home. I guess I need to go look at it now. He said the body has been narrowed and was very radical, and used the L6 powerplant, and lots of trophies for records in this car.

Terry

i was out at blackrock dry lake riding my old honda 87 xr 600 dirt bike this weekend.glad to say this old bike out ran a brand new honda cr250.speedo said 84mph but surface was soft/loose.went too check out a landmrk on other end of lake-it was 20 miles across.land speed record was set on this lake.some time i am going to trailer my z out there and try it out.