HybridZ

Need a left side half shaft for 75Z-280

zentech

Left and right are the same compressed and extended length for the R180 and the R300.

Hey John,* that's what i thought* however just by visual inspection when the car is on jack stands i use a jack under the left wheel and raise it up to about where it would be compressed when the car is on the ground and it looks like it's totally compressed.All i have done is swapped the r-200/3:54 for an r-200 3:90 to match my close ratio 5/speed. I have owned about two dozen Z cars and have worked on over 60 z cars in my time and never had that particular issue. I have several half-shafts mixed in from S-30 to S-130 z cars and they all seem to have the same length. I appreciate your imput. Thank you.

Me, Tony D, Ian, Erik Messley, and Bryan Lampe have all looked at hundreds of S30 Halfshafts over the decades and never found a length difference. Yes, the left Halfshaft in a R200 install has to shorten noticeably more because of the asymmetry of the R200, but at a stock ride height 280Z it's not an issue. It can become an issue in a lowered 240z and I wrote up something about it 8 or 9 years ago.

Me, Tony D, Ian, Erik Messley, and Bryan Lampe have all looked at hundreds of S30 Halfshafts over the decades and never found a length difference. Yes, the left Halfshaft in a R200 install has to shorten noticeably more because of the asymmetry of the R200, but at a stock ride height 280Z it's not an issue. It can become an issue in a lowered 240z and I wrote up something about it 8 or 9 years ago.

My 1975 Z has been slightly lowered and the rear control arms are still not at 180* degrees which should leave the half-shaft spline not totally compressed. Question: Would it be ok to take the half-shaft to a drive-line repair service and have it cut about 3/8 to 7/16" of an inch just to be sure there is no binding ?  

Edited by zentech

I think that johnc might be letting you go on your merry way, since he gave you the clues and you didn't really use them.  Here's a link to what he was talking about in Post #5.   Hope you don't mind John.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BetaMotorsports-LLC/143989191670   Go down to March 5, 2014.

People shorten their half-shafts when they put the R200 in a 240Z.   But the 280Z's were designed for the R200.