HybridZ

TPI camel hump heads, yay or nay

fl327

hey guys its me,more questions for you all.

hey i have a chance to buy the tpi setup from one of my buddies at the shop, its the older style that will fit the older style heads. ive heard that it would probably only boost hp by about 20hp, with a different feel and responsiveness, does anyone know what the horsepower limit is on the stock setup?? ive heard that its the equivalent of a big two barrel carb, and wont push more than 250ish hp. im wondering if its worth it,i know that tweaking FI cost bucks.

but i have the chance to pick up the setup for butt cheap, and the days are counting down to when i tear down 327 and resserect him into SUPER IMPORT SLAYER, in the JTR position, naturally. anyone who has or is working with the TPI feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Is it from a 305 or 350CI engine? OEM TPI tend to be restrictive in both cases as they were built to achieve torque not HP and generally run out of breath before hitting 6K in stock form. Also, does it come with EVERYTHING or does it need a pile of sensors and bolts? It can get quite expensive chasing misc. parts for those things.

I dunno', I think I'd save up for a TPIS miniram or a converted carb intake if you'rew going to see serious HP and any upper end RPMs. It would certainly work but it wouldn't be optimal (shrug).

Guest Anonymous

well, the stock stuff is great...on stock motors...anything that's more than very mildly built starts to lose drivability and power at top-end....something to do with the rnners i think

Guest JAMIE T

I agree with Jim icon_eek.gif. Save your money for a TPIS short runner intake like an LT1 style. I installed a NOS system on a Corvette that had that intake on it and some ported stock alum. heads and it had LOTS of power. It ran 12teens before the gas was installed. I think Owen has the same intake also.

Jamie

Deathstar

Just kidding Jim.

its from a tpi350. it would have everything, actually i wouldnt need half the stuff that it would come with. that tpis is way too dang expensive man...wow! im going to bump up the cam to rev to about 6500-7000 new lifters valve springs(basically tearing him down and starting all over)-what would tpi need to supply the juice to pull at the high rpms??? lt1 runners are really nice, but out of my league at the moment, man if it really costs that much to make it work with my setup,im just gonna rejet the carb dangit!!! but i like how injection does it, very nice smooth and somewhat efficient, as efficient as it can i guess....

Guest Anonymous

wow...to flow 6500-7000 is going to be hard...hmmm...you'd almost have to get the TPIS runners, or anything with a larger diameter tube on it...There's really not much material that you can port on the stock runners...mayhaps your can deflate the cost by selling your stock runners? A larger than stock throttle body would be good too...other than that, I can't think of anything...then again, i just got finished working my second 12 hour day in a row...so my head's not working right... icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Racnoth ]

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Racnoth ]

No way is a built motor going to go 7K with an OEM TPI setup. I'm not even sure the aftermarket runers will get you that high! Head over to the TPI site and read up on their intake, I'm not sure IT makes it as high as 7K! OEM SBCs couldn't hardly get to 6K with those intakes if memory serves and you've still not said if this is off of a 350 or a 305 - makes a difference!

To each his own but if I was shooting for a high RPM motor like that I'd be welding injector bugs into a nasty wicked single plane CARB intake, buying a nice TB, building rails, and injecting it that way rather than fooling with OEM TPIs. There comes a point where trying to go cheap simply doesn't cut it. If you're not going to be able to afford to do the EFI right for the power range you want stick to cheaper carbs - you'll be bux ahead.

As expensive as the TPIS intake is I'm considering converting my carb intake to EFI too. I go back and forth on it to be honest. The throttle body isn't cheap and neither is the labor but... The TPIS looks darned nice though icon_smile.gif But by the time you add it all up it really is pretty pricey. icon_eek.gif

Guest Anonymous

I agree with Jim. If you want that sort of RPM then theres no sense in messing with a stock unit IMHO. You could have the bungs welded into your current manifold (not sure what your running, but they seem to use single plane manifolds, Victor Jr, or the Weiand X-celerator etc..). Add injectors, the fuel rail and a throttle body (you can even use your old Holley just add a Throttle position switch). Compute the thing with a SDS and call it good. Obviously this isn't super cheap either but I think it will be cheaper than a new Holley/Cutler type system (unless you get a deal on one like Mike did.). Not a cheap solution, but IMHO injection ain't cheap to do in high rpm applications. Just a opinion of course. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Its interesting the "Cost" of TPI keeps coming up, again & again. I say this as awhile back while searching the web for spec's on different engines I found a site where Ford posted their results of their "DOE Sensors Meetings.

On that site they posted a pie chart of the Cost Breakdown of an engine, it reads as follows:

1) Fuel Injection 32%

2) Turbocharging 14%

3) Miscellaneous 13%

4) Cranktrain 12%

5) Valvetrain 8%

6) Cylinder Block 7%

7) Cylinder Heads 6%

8) EGR Systems 5%

9) Cooling Systems 2%

10) Covers 1%

Now we see why the Fuel Injections Systems cost so much-its the one major system that appears to be rather involved; I'm sure the exp is directly related w/the computers high tech & its "degree" of efficiency/durability.

Anyway, I found it all interesting.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Guest Anonymous

If you want to go with FI then you will be way ahead of the game buying a unit like the ACCELL system or somethig similiar. Mike Kz has one and it puts out over 400 horses and near500 LbFTs of torque, whichever way you go, you're better off with a unit that has a programmable computer, especilly if you are going to race it and you are tuning around humidity levels and such. I think the Accell unit costs arond 2 grand,and while this may sound expensive,it is probably the single best thing you can do for all around drivability.It sure as hell is a lot cheaper to break out the laptop and make a few changes to the mapping system than to spend money on buying new carb, ignition and such. I guess it just boils down to can I afford it or not. 7 grand with a carburateur is accomplished fairly easy although alot more money is spent in the machine shop. With the technology we have available today and with what we will have ahead I believe the FI is truly the way to go.

thanx guyz, yes the tpi is from a 350, but i dont think i can get it to perform over 6k without basically modifying it so much that

it is an accel lingenfelter, man it sucks

i can get that setup for pennies right now

quote:

Originally posted by FAIRLADY 327:

its from a tpi350. it would have everything, actually i wouldnt need half the stuff that it would come with. that tpis is way too dang expensive man...wow! im going to bump up the cam to rev to about 6500-

those requirements are not for stock TPI AT ALL...price out what you'd need overall after reading some 3rd gen TPI sites where the runners/TB/base/injectors/programming etc etc...easier IMO to save that cash till a package more suited comes along......they can spend more than I did on my complete pro flo package for requirements like yours....in OE form/runners/base etc you'll see a loss in power assuming you've got 300+hp at present , just my .02c

Guest Night_rider_383

z ya... I say the same thing if you want rpm w/o busting your wallet you cant go wrong with a carb and the set up you said. If you got an engine that can really spin up. Then in the light weight z then you can even run a single plane intake or a tunnel ram with two 450 cfm holley's or if your engine needs it two 500's or 600's to let it breath good yp high 6,500 plus rpm (just need a big scoop to get it to fit under the hood)

The LT1 is a good choice since it has the goofy optispark I don't think you have to modify the hood latch at all and still use all the JTR dimensions. YOu can even run an engine driven fan from the Caprice/ImpalaSS. I have a friend with a '86 TPI 305 in a 74 Corvette convertible (yes, 305!). With stock runners, plenum and TB but an Edelbrock base (stock one had vac leak) and a Summit TPI cam, ran 13.97 ar 100 mph in Houston. And it got 26mpg on the way down there! That's with 3.07 rear gears and the TH700 in a 3700# car! The TPI is still very valid for a Z, just build a motor that takes advantage of it's strengths. Long runner, good low speed torque. Cam for 5500 rpm power peak. FYI, only difference between 350 and 305 versions are fuel injectors. Beware, Corvette TPI are significantly different from Camaro/Firebird models which are easier to swap.

Impalla SS do NOt have an engine driven fan. JTR mentions one in their TPI swap book but I've lent that out and don't have it handy. I think that was a Caprice towing package option?

IMO the LT1 ROX! It makes our Impalla SS flat out move and it must weigh something over 4Klbs! Sick I tell tyou, just plain sick icon_eek.gif

Guest Anonymous

Are there some weird clearance issues with aftermarket headers in the Impala SS? I saw those ones in jegs and Summit and they're very odd looking, like they come out of the head, go up and then make a 180 and come back down toward the back. icon_confused.gif

Regards,

Lone