HybridZ

Back at it....

I will be on week 4 starting Monday. The was 3 weeks more than I wanted- unrealistic, I know. For any car build, you can bet that the budget will be 4 times more and 4 times longer. I did my best and it happened to me.

I generally don't go to my warehouse often, but since this Z work began, it's been every other day hunting for parts....

Big Red sits in a corner. I've only drawn up a build list to restore it, but I think my initial goal would just be power and power alone; I'd like to see what we know now compared to 20 years ago. I have the new turbo already, ecu harness and cable, software. I think I could reassemble the engine components within 2 days and one day to flush out the fuel tank.

I would definitely order as many parts at one time, so that there aren't days in between waiting on parts that I would consider simple- brake master cylinder....

I found a body that's located in Japan and it's not too expensive, respectively, I just don't want things sitting around where I always lose them and have to buy again- I'm a bit famous for that.

post-9962-0-25313200-1427553039_thumb.jpg

Thoughts?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW Folks, I found my dyno chart from many years back....

184hp and 133 ft. lbs. tq.

This time- 231hp and 211 ft. lbs.

Great gain for pump fuel......

I've been on engine dynos as well and I would still prefer a turbo engine if it was all about power. It's not that expensive for turbo conversions and power is at your finger tips...

My Z is more of a restomodern approach which TB injection is very unique.....

I have a heatshield for the exhaust header, but looking at the way that it's been done with a plate of aluminum, I'm optining to design something else out of much better materials and has proven thermal properties......

Edited by Hoover

post-9962-0-21705500-1427572244_thumb.jpg

next time around, I'm going to use this type of header- 6-2-1.

During the dyno tuning, I painted the exhaust to get a heat signature.

The 6-1 is probably not the most efficient style of header. I see maybe 5-8 more hp.tq. with the 6-2-1.

I often see people using 3" exhaust on these motors. Is that just for peak HP? I don't see how that would make tq. at this displacement.

Morning everyone,

My wife informed me that we are leaving for vacation on the 5th, so I miss cars and coffee, which was one of my goals....no bigge...

This week, I also have a project that must be finished and fully tuned in 5 days. There will be little to no Z work other than installing the brake master and getting the Z off the lift.

I will order springs for the street- 200f and 225r @ 10"L and raise the rear up 1/2".

not much time to do any Z work today.

new brake master cylinder installed....

let the brake bleeding begin.....

new tires arrive tomorrow....

who knows...maybe I'll head to the DMV and register it!  That would be somewhat epic!

well......I drove 60' and ran out of gas..... end....

moving forward:

-brakes feel like they aren't working properly. I don't think it's getting good reading from the brake booster.

-springs ordered- I went 225 front/ 250 rear...

-shift knob wont stay on

-brake lights need to be rewired

-alignment

-datsun hood emblem (haven't ordered yet, but probably have an old one laying around)

-front tires arrive tomorrow