HybridZ

Back at it....

looks like I have a gear box to work with.......I know that there are other gear boxes, but I just don't have the time to do all the machining to make it all work.....I seem to always have too many projects at one time and need to focus.......

now if I just had a fuel tank.......

ordered new fuel filter assembly and should have that all sorted out with little difficulty....famous last words.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The weather has been very nice, especially the mornings.

I'm working out of home this morning and there's a somewhat local Datsun swap meet, but I can't make it.

Every Sunday, a few of my neighbors start up their V8's and head out for the morning. They've got camaros, vettes, ac cobra replicas etc......who knows, maybe next week, I can do the same. Cars and Coffee is literally 3 minutes from my residence......

I think after it's running, I'll just start shopping for more parts as life goes by......seems reasonable enough........ The Big Red Widebody Z I have scares me...it's a lot of work and if I get into that, there may be a point of no return......must be careful. The parts that are available since I stopped working on Z cars is amazing and made my life so much easier. I'm so used to building every single part and piece...

Edited by Hoover

i should have the spur gears by tomorrow morning.

If I can get a few hours in, I should be able to remove the diff. replace gears and reinstall with the new R/T Mount.....

Progress!!!!

The Big Red Widebody Z I have scares me...it's a lot of work and if I get into that, there may be a point of no return......must be careful. The parts that are available since I stopped working on Z cars is amazing and made my life so much easier. I'm so used to building every single part and piece...

Sooo -Supercharged LS3 backed by a 6L80E, R230 LSD with cryogenically hardened halfshafts.  Fully adjustable coiler suspension all the way around, Big Wilwood brakes all the way around, new 17" wheels sporting 305/35-17 tires in the rear and 245's in the front, Full leather interior with a 1,000 watt 10 speaker sound system.  Is that what scary sounds like?  :D

pretty awesome,Phantom!!!

Sounds like quite the build you have/had.

The Z is actually refreshing in a way. Lots of information and aside from exhaust, I don't have to fabricate that much for this build. It's just that having a car sit for so long brings up everything else that you'd never think of.

I hope to at minimum complete the differential and RT mount tomorrow. I have a feeling that once it's running, I'll have a round two that begins with the brakes etc.... my alignment rack is full right now, so aside from bump steer spacers, I don't want to get into anything more if I can avoid it at this point and time...

Edited by Hoover

post-9962-0-73567200-1426520758_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-95528800-1426520767_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-38691200-1426520781_thumb.jpg

Happy Monday!

I went to the warehouse this morning to try and locate some usable door panels to no avail.

Found a hatch with wing, IMSA style front end and a cowl.

I've brought the cowl back to my shop and considering making one in carbon.

well......i'm really not happy and more frustrated than ever.........post-9962-0-18732000-1426561526_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-60257800-1426561559_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-65820300-1426561573_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-21302900-1426561588_thumb.jpg

the receiver for the bolt-thru type axle shaft doesn't fit the spur gears on the R180 (from a 260z). I'm going to hope that a 260Z is different and pick up an r180 from a 240z.

i may have to put it all back together and deal with the diff. axle problems later.......i need to get it all back together and on the dyno........the diff. can be changed later..........

I've made a short list of round 2 and 3 which includes brakes, control arms, tc rods and cleaning up the entire bottom of the chassis....

Edited by Hoover

the 4.11 I bought is from a 720 4x4.

I've read through the procedure and leaving the buttons floating just doesn't seem right. There's no way to control end play.

With a combination of parts from the r180 and K R180 and some fabrication, I hope to have this differential working by the end of the day.....again...I hope!!!

post-9962-0-60652000-1426624436_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-42814400-1426624450_thumb.jpg

so far looks good. Got the 240z axles to mate with the 720 4x4 diff. It's not a simple transfer or parts, or maybe I wasn't comfortable with letting the button float without some control of endplay.

now where's my gas tank!!!

RT Mount- it didn't fit with the polyurethane mount on top. Going back to the first version of their mount and will trim to fit. Maybe it's because it's a 1970?

Yeah, there's a little bit of flange on the car that you have to trim off on the series 1 cars to get the RT mount to fit. But I'm not sure what RT mount you have, mine was made by a member here a couple years ago and was designed to fit any year S30.

Yeah, there's a little bit of flange on the car that you have to trim off on the series 1 cars to get the RT mount to fit. But I'm not sure what RT mount you have, mine was made by a member here a couple years ago and was designed to fit any year S30.

I bought it from tecnoversion. It arrived quickly via usps.

We did trim off the flange, but you can only push the bracket up so far regardless....post-9962-0-68085200-1426643397_thumb.jpg

Back to the version #1

post-9962-0-93493300-1426643443_thumb.jpg

BTW, your screen name-do you own a 930 turbo? I'd like to build a blackbird and can't make up my mind if I like a 930 or 993. I'll look at turbo options, but I generally like the single turbo of twins.....

post-9962-0-67973300-1426643671_thumb.jpg

no big deal...brake lines...

maybe I should upgrade the front brakes at minimum???

I'm certain I could have the trans. and exhaust installed within a couple of hours.

Also need a reverse light switch......

I bought it from tecnoversion. It arrived quickly via usps.

We did trim off the flange, but you can only push the bracket up so far regardless..

BTW, your screen name-do you own a 930 turbo? I'd like to build a blackbird and can't make up my mind if I like a 930 or 993. I'll look at turbo options, but I generally like the single turbo of twins.....

When I installed mine, it was a pretty tight fit. Does it seem like it might go into place if you tapped on it a little (not hard)? Is it even close to fitting or way off? I got mine from Roostmonkey (member on here) FYI. Not sure if he still makes them or if he even browses here anymore.

As for the Porsche? I wish! But, no. I made up this username when I was all of 15 years old. I hope you have lots of money to blow if you want a 930 now. They've shot up in price an absolutely insane amount in the last year or so.

When I installed mine, it was a pretty tight fit. Does it seem like it might go into place if you tapped on it a little (not hard)? Is it even close to fitting or way off? I got mine from Roostmonkey (member on here) FYI. Not sure if he still makes them or if he even browses here anymore.

As for the Porsche? I wish! But, no. I made up this username when I was all of 15 years old. I hope you have lots of money to blow if you want a 930 now. They've shot up in price an absolutely insane amount in the last year or so.

moving up further will misalign the mount bolts, so it has to sit where it sits, there is no adjustability for the vertical position machined into the mount. The adjustment is done by trimming the bushing.

The 930 is very expensive, even near the price of a new GTR. It would be fun to swap out to programmable fuel injection, a turbo that isn't so laggy, 5 spd. conversion etc.....or maybe 993, which is still very expensive for a used car- that's Porsche for you, they retain value for certain. Z cars have also surprised me. I've seen nice ones sell for 20K+ and decent donor cars for 3500-5000.

moving up further will misalign the mount bolts, so it has to sit where it sits, there is no adjustability for the vertical position machined into the mount. The adjustment is done by trimming the bushing.

Okay, I misunderstood the problem, I thought you were having trouble getting the RT mount itself bolted into place. I installed mine like your 'version 1' with a factory mount on bottom. If I'm remembering right, the RT mount was designed partly to improve driveline angles for a V8 swap when used with the poly mount you had (and without any mount on bottom), but I might be making that up. It's been a while since I did this and I'm foggy on details.