HybridZ

Northstar update

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys,

Our Northstar project slowed down during the summer due to personal pressures and family emergencies, but took a big step forward this week. The engine is running in the car. Now this doesn't seem, on the surface, to be a big deal. However, we are using stock Northstar injectors, a Caddy computer with built in security, etc. etc. This required a custom wiring harness, programming, hand built headers, motor mounts and a redesigned steering setup. The injectors had to be reversed and those complexities had to be dealt with.

Now that the engine has been proven to run in the car, out it comes for the last time (I hope)and the cosmetic work can start. We are planning polished aluminum valve and injector covers with some chrome panels and pulleys to dress up the front.

The sound of that Northstar roaring straight out of 14" headers is earth-shaking! I plan to do quite a bit of tuning on the exhaust side to get just the right sound. I want a nice burble at idle but no obnoxious roar on city streets.

I am a little more positive on the Northstar swap at this time. It looks like the entire project will come in at less than $15K (at one time I was afraid that we were going over $20K). I think this is pretty good for a 300+HP, six speed, true sports car.

Best to all,

Ted

"The engine is running in the car. Now this doesn't seem, on the surface, to be a big deal."

That's a HUGE deal, everything else is just details!!

flamedevil.gif You've worked thru a LOT of details to date and having it run is so triumphant icon_biggrin.gif , easy enought to relate to icon_cool.gif even though our builds are so different I can appreciate what you've accomplished to date.

Congrats icon_smile.gif

This may be slightly off topic here, but it occurs to me that one of the major problems with the Northstar (after following the various links that were posted here several months ago) was that water pump thing, which was caused by the motor being mounted at the pump.

With the Northstar mounted "conventionally" in the Z, this problem should disappear, right?

Anyway, I second the request for pics. Especially of the headers. I love looking at headers icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

I have got some pictures, and in fact e-mailed some to Pete, but I am not sure exactly how to post them here. I am working on a website to detail the entire rebuild. It should be up in the next couple of weeks. When it is ready I'll post.

Cheers,

Ted

Guest Anonymous

I would really like some pics if you would email me cause I have a friend who wants to do a Northstar Z. Anything would be better than nothing. Hope to hear from you.

Jake

• 1 year later...

i would like to see you guys make a mid engine North Star powered honda civic hatch back. that would be awesome, and the honda guys would hate it :twisted:

imagine it a 2 seat civic and it would be really fast just stock. ( the caddy does 14.9 in the 1/4 mile and the civic weights 1/2 as much)

I would love to see some pics of this. I have big plans for a Northstar, but won't have the money to do it until I'm out of college. The big 5000 lb. Caddy that my grandfather really lifts it nose and goes when the pedal goes to the floor. Imagine that in a Z.

Guest sleepr240

zguy95135, I have some designes floating around for that very thing. Basicly take a 94 Civic HB and gut it, do a tubular frame and make it "look" like a typical rice burner, but drop the Northstar in the back seat :twisted: . Once I get my scanner hooked up, I will email you some pics if youd like.

But that sounds great, and it is a huge deal getting it started in the car, good luck and I agree with everyone else, post some pics.

pics! we need pics!

sounds awsome though. After an hour or so of searching around ebay for cheap northstars I really started wishing that someone would make some progress with theirs just so I could prove to myself that its possible. I was just about to hit the "search" button to re-read all the old posts for clues when this caught my attention

keep up the good work, but be sure to take lots of picture breaks

Have any of you looked at the date tedsned posted this? I doubt he's around anymore.

!M!

oh crap....you're right

I saw this at the top of the forum and I figured it was a new post....I guess someone brought it back not realizing the same

• 2 weeks later...

I may be confused but I think the top V6 offering from Olds is essentially a V8 minus two cylinders, dubbed the Shortstar. Just thinking along the lines of lighter weight and less cost, as well as being able to place it further back in the engine bay. Theres a company out of Toronto that does some pretty harcore work on GM V6's, I belive they've got a Paxton S/C setup for it.