HybridZ

Direct power fuel pump on 280z?

Hey guys. my 280z project is almost reaching completion. And I want to run direct power from the battery to my fuel pump. With a switch on the interior of the car to turn the pump power on and off. Just wondering if anyone has done this? and are there any issues i may run into in doing that or certain things I should look out for?

I hope I am clear in what I'm wanting to do, I try to keep my questions short and sweet. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...

I'm assuming by this time you have found out the fuel pump can't be wired directly to the battery.  That would mean the fuel pump would have constant current and be on all the time.  You must wire in the ignition circuit.  You will need an inertia switch and a 30amp fuse.  JEGS sell a fuel pump wiring harness with circuit breaker, fuse, and wiring.  You can get an  inertia switch on Ebay cheap.  Be sure you get the necessary harness with the switch.  I am in the process of this endeavor.

Hopefully, all will go well.  I not as limber or spry as I used to be.  Hope yours worked out.

Yes, I have an electric auxiliary fuel pump wired as discussed....power from a hot post, fused and inertia switch in line, along with manual switch in cockpit.  Only need it when racing; the primary mechanical pump is fine for street use by itself.  This seems to be a fairly common setup, so there's really no reason why it won't work for you.  

What's your intended usage for the vehicle?