HybridZ

Rear brake drum spring woes

So I've replaced the seals on my rear brake piston, lubed up the e brake ratchet thingy and now its time to re assemble. I managed after a half an hour to get the springs mounted to the shoes. It wasnt easy to say the least. There has to be an easy way to do this. Maybe a special brake spring tool. I know they sell brake spring tools ,I just dont know what type to buy as there are lots. Anyone have any tips on reassembly to make my life easier as I go on to the other side of the car? Thanks

Put the shoes and springs together off of the backing plate, on a bench or the floor.  Fold the shoes toward you like closing an open book, keeping the springs in their holes, using the springs like hinges.  Place the various contact points of the shoes and mounting areas of the backing plate together and push the shows flat like opening a book.  The springs will stretch as the shoe ends get pushed apart.  Use one hand or a helper or a rope or string or bungee cord to hold them in place while you insert the pins from behind and lock them down.  Can't remember but I think that you might be able to mount the adjuster between the shoes after the shoes are mounted, or hold it in between the shoes before you place them on the backing plate.  Anyway, if you try it, the fine details will fall in to place..

Put the shoes and springs together off of the backing plate, on a bench or the floor.  Fold the shoes toward you like closing an open book, keeping the springs in their holes, using the springs like hinges.  Place the various contact points of the shoes and mounting areas of the backing plate together and push the shows flat like opening a book.  The springs will stretch as the shoe ends get pushed apart.  Use one hand or a helper or a rope or string or bungee cord to hold them in place while you insert the pins from behind and lock them down.  Can't remember but I think that you might be able to mount the adjuster between the shoes after the shoes are mounted, or hold it in between the shoes before you place them on the backing plate.  Anyway, if you try it, the fine details will fall in to place..

This was what I tried. It didnt work as planned.I had to muscle the springs in place. In the end it worked but I wasnt happy with the hastle I went through.