HybridZ

T56 for an LS1 engine...I really am confused..

Hello all,

I have been doing research, reading, calling D&D transmissions and when I think I understand, I really dont it seems.

I have an engine.  LS1 from a 2004 Vette.

I need a transmission.  Manual.   T56.  Joe at D&D (very nice guy) says 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird LS1 engine tranny will mount just fine.  Except finding those is proving very hard to find.  Zip in local junk yards, Zip on Craigslist and Ebay is scaring me a little cause of lack of info.  And those that say its the correct model years, asking good money for it vs other trannys.

My confusion is this:

I seem to think that a few trannys will fit (bolt up), but the reason for the specific model years of the Camaro is that it puts the shifter in the correct position.   Is this correct? 

Suggestions or comments?  

Thanks for any knowledge and help!

The reason for the specific years is because camaros and transams from 93-97 with the LT1 also came with a t56. The LT1 style T56 will not work on a LS1 with out modifying it. I don't know all the detailed differences, but know the input shaft is different.

Yes, the main reason for the LS1 T56 out of a 98-2002 F-body is because it positions the shifter in the correct spot.  The t56 came in everything from vipers to mustangs to aston martins, but the one you want is out of a 98-2002 f-body because no modification need to be made to the trans and because the shifter position is correct for a S30 z car.

Edited by Kevin.pk

2010Camaro-CTSV-G8frontadapter.jpgDriveshaft adaptor for a caddy ctsv trans .You can find shifters for either of the covers on top of the trans at the back.The front yoke on that shaft is a Ford part.You would have to build a custon driveshaft with a slip yoke.to use this.Evevybody wants a 4th gen Camaro t56.

I'm from Ontario, but here a fresh rebuild cts-v T-56. Looks like a shop and he may ship. cts-v tranny is longer then the camaro version. Motor will have to be shifted forward or some other mod to get it to alight with the stock shifter hole.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-transmission-drive-train/hamilton/6spd-t-56-manual-transmission/1036111293?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Just wait ti you find a Camaro or GTO trans. The CTSV trans requires a weird driveshaft and a weird shifter assembly. These parts pop up when you aren't looking. As soon as you buy something screwy, the right part will pop up for half of what you paid. Tell your wife you are selling the car. Book a fancy vacation to Bora Bora. Put the car up for sale. Next thing you know, you will find 3 T56s new in the box within a mile of your house.

I would be interested in selling mine. Just so I can jump into the Automatic world with both feet and get a 700R4 and maybe help jump start my turbo build. The trans is a T56 from a F-body its been in my s30 z car for a little over a year and a half or so.. The story goes ... 

I got this transmission out of a close friends totaled LS7 f-body. The LS7 in his car was actually a 441 and made around 875 on a 175 shot to the ground. The previous owner (to him) had the transmission "beefed up" ( I have no idea what they did to "beef it up" so take that for what its worth) I do know that he used this transmission at the drag strip on slicks and had zero issues. I have also had zero issues with the transmission. 

PM if your interesting. I'd include the bell housing , shifter , clutch , pressure plate , so on so on .