HybridZ

Compression check and moly rings

Well, I've run my new motor now for about a week. I did a compression check tonight and all 8 cylinders lie within a 147-153 psi window. I've noticed a small bit of oil in the chambers and wonder if this is due to the moly rings not seated yet or if I've got other problems. Any words from the wise?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Compression & moly rings:

As you didnot say how many miles is on the "new engine" , let me put it this way normally

moly rings should be seated within 200 miles on the motor. Normal city driving{ up & down} is recommended over highway cruising.

A better test of the moly rings is cylinder

leakage test. Utilizing a leakage tester. you

put compressed air to particular cylinder and measure the air bypassing the rings. It measured

in percent% { like 20% leakage). Racers use this

test to determine when to change the rings for

max power.

I hope this infor helps.

Sunny

Well I tend to disagree with that a little. I have moly rings in my engine, and they sealed up quickly.

I would put some mileage on the car and see what happens. Depending on how tight your clearances are, it may take a little longer to seal.

As long as it doesn't smoke and use oil, you should be ok. Compression is good.

Change the oil and drive it some more and see what happens.

Appreciate the reply Sunny. The motor had less than 100 miles on it at that time, and now with about 200 miles on it the plugs have a near perfect appearance with still a touch of oil discoloration, but not nearly as bad as before, so it appears it's all seating well.

The 4 bolt main large journal 327 (331) currently in my Jimmy took nearly 2k miles for the rings to seat up (4 valve relief forged flat tops). I don't know what was up with that, but 17 years later it's still going strong. 80k miles in the Camaro including at LEAST 200# of nitrous and another 100k in the truck dragging all sorts of stuff around.

Mike, I'm glad to hear that. My 327 with moly rings and forged TRW pistons (the heavy slugs that take 0.0020" clearance) is still burning oil at 500 miles. It's gone through 1.5 quarts in that time. I'm hoping it will slow down soon. I'm going to wait until it does before switching to synthetic.

I think that's the right idea Pete. If you check out the mags long term tests on new vehicles, they make more power and get better fuel economy as they approach the 10-15k mile range, I think their rings even take awhile to get their best seal. They just have better seals to begin with, but not as high performance of parts, so your longevity should be better...