HybridZ

Grog's Pontiac Powered V-8 Z On-Line

Grog

For those interested, I have put together a preliminary website with some details surrounding the shoe-horning of a Pontiac V-8 into my 1975 280Z. Please forgive the basicness of the website; it is still under development. I will post new pictures and commentary as the days pass but for now I hope what is on the website is beneficial to those who are considering this swap. I will be checking this forum for feedback untill I get my website email worked out. I welcome all comments and suggestions. Thanks!

cheers.gifDirty Grog's Pontiac Powered V-8 Z

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grog,Nice site, I`m already too far along in the SBC swap to even consider going to a pontiac though. Have you considered going to a 455? I could be wrong,but I`ve heard that the 350,400,and 455`s were all the same size. I also noticed you`ve got a Hyundia elantra in the background. I had one the same color that was totaled. if you`re interested I still have the rear spoiler and american racing wheels from it.

Denny, if you carefully read his site, you'll see that he mentions the interchangeability between motors. Heh, a nice swap that would be :D

Nice site, Grog. Way to go to you for putting down useful info for others. That's the spirit of this forum. 2thumbs.gif

Davy

Guest 400 ci 280z

grog,

that is a pretty good site and i cant wait to get home to get the mounts taken care of. sorry about the e-mail because for some stupid reason i did not think to look here. once again thanks a lot. cheers.gifcheers.gif

My pontiac buddies are running stroked 455's with chevy rods and pistons. Hybrid Pontiac motor. Long rod/ short piston makes the pontiac motor strong in higher rpm with less pinging(459-469 ci) I'm hoping may be one of them gives me the motor to go into a Z on day. ;)

what is the most displacement that you can get from a 455? from boring,stroking,ect? Do they offer good flowing aluminium heads for it? Also, what about steel cranks? twak.gifmalebitchslap.gif If I`m not carefull, the lure of easy cubes is gonna get me :D

Originally posted by denny411:

what is the most displacement that you can get from a 455? from boring,stroking,ect? Do they offer good flowing aluminium heads for it? Also, what about steel cranks? twak.gifmalebitchslap.gif If I`m not carefull, the lure of easy cubes is gonna get me :D

You can go up to little shy of 470 I think. I can't tell you the spec of it, I'm not a pontiac owner. I know thery run forged crank with Eagle or Crowler rods. Ross pistons, venolia pistons blah, blah, blah. If you have $1600, you can get Elerblock? aluminum heads.

Thanks everyone for the laudatory comments. The Pontiac engine is very versatile unlike other engines, primarily in that there are few restrictions on what engine parts are interchangable between the small and big block. The crankshaft sizes are an obvious restriction but the heads, intakes, rods, and a few other parts can cross the cubic inch border. I am unaware about stuffing certain Chevy internal into the Pontiac, but you can readily obtain a nice set of Eagle con rods for the same price as having the stock Pontiac rods reconditioned. Plus the Eagle rods are MUCH stronger. You can bolt on a set of Edelbrock heads for ~1700 dollars, or go for a worked set of Wenzler heads for roughly the same price. Or if you choose to go over the top, get a set of Big Chief heads and go scare yourself. But its a good kind of scared.

There are a number of option available including purchasing an aftermarket Pontiac block for radical engines. I could ramble on but the choice and level of creativity is up to the builder. Again, thanks for the comments and don't hesitate to drop me a line if you nedd information or wish to pass smoe along.

Grog

Chris,

The mount is a solid type; in between the motor mount and the cross member is a 0.50 inch aluminum spacer. The motor mounts themselves are the 3-bolt style. The front mounting boss on my block is not drilled and tapped. You can pick up this type of mount from Year One at ~$35.00. I am looking for a rubber isolator to in between the two that is not more than 0.75 inches in thickness and similar in dimensions with a bolt pass-through. The car vibrates a bit but I am more concerned about tortional stressing. The car is not completely finished as I can't keep myself from modifying this and that. The car has had countless modifications done to it.

Grog.

Guest Anonymous

Grog,

Thanks for posting those pictures. Thats a sweet installation, love the shaker hood, thats always been a fav, always wanted a 455 trans am. That goes in there really neat.. Almost makes me want to find a 455 and a adapter for the T56... :D Whataya think Davy? Turbo'ed 455? I know someone who has a BIG turbo that might just do the trick ;) A Ford 9" or Dana would be in order as would take off clearance from the tower and a 'G' suit. :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest 400 ci 280z

i cant look at my engine but it is a 69 block that has the 2 bolt holes. i cant remember if they are in the same place as the newer blocks though.

Guest 400 ci 280z

is the mount a solid motor mount with a half inch plate in between that and the crossmember with bolt holes in it? also does your monts have the 2 bolt holes for the mounts on the block?

you can make a 608cid engine if you spend $3,745.00 for indian adventures tall deck block, or they have a 455 they took to 494cid. if you want to look at some big engines look under Performance-street or Performance-racing about half way down this site http://www.performanceyears.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi this is a helpful place to get combos from.

Guest 400 ci 280z

grog,

what transmission are you running? just thought i would ask because i was planning on using a muncie m-22. i am going to get the new case and the M-22W gears from www.autogear.net so i have the wide ratio and stronger gears. thanks.

Chris,

I run a T-350, which will be just fine for a streetable 400-455 cu.in. motor. Depending on what mods you perform on the engine, this tranny is plenty strong and can be rebuilt with stronger internals. The T-400 is WAY to large for an unaltered transmission tunnel, but if you want one installed then prepare to do some serious cutting and welding.

You can also put a BOP 200-R4 behind the Pontiac V-8; it will bolt right up. You will need to slightly enlarge the torque converter bolt holes in the T-350 flexplate and use a 200-R4 torque converter. A 4th gear lock-up switch will have to be installed, and can be ordered right from Summit Racing. There are a few minor installation issues that will need to be accomplished, but they are minor. If you doubt the strength of this transmission, behold -- it is good enough to handle the power of the Buick GNX and Regal T-Types. I plan to put one behind my Z when I find a good one (anyone have a spare?) so I have the added benefit of a highway gear when out on a joy ride.

Grog

Guest 400 ci 280z

i know i could easily get the t-350 and not worry, but my problem s that i want a stick but dont want to pay the high prices for a 5 speed. i guess i will have to decide on what i want though. thanks.

There are alot of options available as to which transmission you wish to use behind the Pontiac. Ultimately, it is financial considerations and personal taste that dictate which one to use. I had onced considered using the M22 but finding one at a reasonable price was the show stopper.

On another note, I have updated my website with additional pictures and commentary that will be useful. Cheers.

Grog

Originally posted by LoneInAZ:

... Almost makes me want to find a 455 and a adapter for the T56... :D Whataya think Davy? Turbo'ed 455? I know someone who has a BIG turbo that might just do the trick...

Yesssssss, you do know someone with a BIG turbo that would do nicely! I wonder if it is too big for 455? :confused: 502, here I come! :D

Davy