HybridZ

Had found someone's site w/ pics of custom fuel cell box ins

And now I can't find it anywhere.. someone built up a box that the fuel cell bolted to, with a hole in the bottom for the fuel pickup to drop through, it looked really nice. I'm going to be doing something similar soon so if I can get that site again I'd really appreciate it.. will post this in a couple of other forums as well.

YES! Exactly! That's the one I was thinking of! Great looking install, Tim! I hope to do the exact same thing you did, though my frame rails are in good shape. I may add some extra bracing back there just for fun. What brand fuel cell is that? I was looking at the Summit 20x18x10 fifteen gallon one (same as Mike Kelly I believe..). How did you hold the poly cell down since it doesn't have tabs on the bottom? Or did you just rest it in there? icon_biggrin.gif

Pretty cool idea. I can see you drilled the holes for the two screws that hold down the straps. Annoyingly enough my car only came with two of the straps. I guess there were four, or something - this is the first Z I've owned and luggage straps aren't exactly high on my list of priorities so I never looked into how they worked. I have the two straps that screw down to the very back of the trunk floor. So attach the straps to the bottom of the fuel cell box, wrap them over the top of the cell, and then what? Of course I lost my damn Motorsport Auto catalog... I think I'm the most helpless, hopeless member of this forum icon_rolleyes.gifcry2.gif

I may end up building a top for the box that will hold the cell down nice and snug, I'm not sure. This was supposed to take three months but I keep on finding fun stuff to do to my car icon_razz.gif First it was just the motor. Now all of a sudden, I'm going to be welding in a fuel cell (my first experience with fuel systems as well as my first experience cutting and welding on my car..) Then I need a cage, and I'm being pressured to have the cage put in now while it's stripped down and there's no motor in it.. that's just more time.. ugg.gif

Nion,

I was in the same predicament. I originally bought my Z as a non-runner, planning to get it running and that's it. Well, the 'while I'm at it' bug bit me and I bought another to rape for parts.(I paid less than $400 each). Well I ended up getting the second one going with little effort and decided to drop a V8 in the first. Well as you can see by the pictures, I went 'a little' further than just dropping in the motor and trans! icon_eek.gif . But, it is a LOT easier to do what you want while the car is completely stripped, than to go back later and do it.

Anyways, as to your questions.....

The straps have a 'toothed' loop thingy that 'locks' the belts in place unless you pull the other way. I have tried them and the hold well. I also have a 'lid' for the cell box, which will be on hinges (on the side closer to the dash) and a latch on the taillight side. That way once the carpet is in, it will be 'invisible'. (except the outlets sticking out under at the back).I also plan to put some foam around the outside of the cell (between the cell and the box)just to be sure that with a full tank it doesn't slide around under hard cornering, stops and pull offs.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Tim

First the floors, then the subframes, then the cage, then the fuel cell...will I ever be finished?!

For my cell install, I would've had less of the box sticking up out of the floor if I had chosen to mount the whole thing lower. But I just didn't like the way the box looked hanging out the bottom of the car, and I didn't want people messing with my car since it's a street car. I can just see some kids trying to steal my fittings from under the car in the parking lot at Ralph's...

Also, my fuel cell is 1 inch taller I believe. I had a look at Tim's car, the cell box is done really nice, you should go visit him sometime.

Owen

• 1 year later...

I love the way my fittings look hanging out underneath the car :D this is an old thread.

In actuality, it would be very hard to steal them because the way my box is built, when the fuel cell is lowered into it and strapped down, they are pressed up against the flat bottom surface - basically 'keyed' onto the cell so you can't turn them. That's how it is on my install, anyway. No complaints here :)

O.k. I am fairly new at the whole working on car stuff. What excactly is a fuel cell and how does it differ from a gas tank. I have scene the pics of a few of them and how do you fill it? With what kind of fuel? and what are the advantages of having one?

Thanks

Guest Your Car is Slow

Anyone have any dealings with this individual?

Lilrcherrie@aol.com

Claims to make custom fuel cells for cars.

Quoted me this

Either 8 gallon which is 17x17x8 or 12 gallon which is 17x17x11. The 8

gallon is $70 and the 12 gallon is $75. thanks BIll

Found one of his cells on ebay...seemed to be a nice enough part...and the price is good. However you usually get what you pay for.

Was wondering if I was going to be the guinea pig on this one :)

I'm glad this one got dregged up. I hadn't seen this post before and the fuel cell work on my VR is coming up real soon. I have been planning on an aluminum cell from Summit. I had read about the poly cells having a tendancy to collapse inward.

Nion/Tim: How are your poly cells holding up? I like the look of the aluminum cells, but I like the price of the poly cells better.

Marc,

Mine is still new and hasn't seen much fuel, but my Dad has used them in his race cars for longer than I've been alive (30 years +) and has never had one bulge or collapse, in weather above 100 degrees F. Proper venting is the key.

Tim

O.k. so I know that a fuel cell is a fuel tank... What are the advantages of a fuel cell? Is it just a cheaper replacement to a fuel tank? Is it better because it is lighter in weight? Stronger? How do you fill it? Since it doesn't hook up to the normal fill pipe? Sorry, I am really new to this modifying cars thing and have never seen one.

Thanks for all the opinions,

Kyle