HybridZ

4L80e vs 4L60e in 240z Trans tunnel

I have 4L60E in my 280Z. The issues I have are room for exhuast (I must change to oval tube) and the right side of the trans tunnel needs to be hammered in or cut out and replaced. Also absolutely no access to the coolant lines at the trans. Oh, the plug for the computer is also a bitch to reach as well. I'm going to completely rework my tunnel this winter.

Edited by str8pipez

Depends on use too of course but using a LSx seems to carry with it big, bigger and more bigger power potential so don't underestimate what's required transmission wise. Don't know about anyone else but I hate building something and then having it break, grrrr.

I can confirm that the 80e fits in a 240 tunnel with the passenger head about an inch from the firewall. There is still room for fuel lines above it and it can go as high until the slip yoke hits the coin tray under the console. There is no room for exhaust except under the floor pan so like said oval tubing would be nice. The trans electrical connecktr tucks nicely out the tunnel near the seats front. And if you used banjo cooling lines they will fit too, I went 90* an stuff for flow and had to cut the tunnel for the fittings to fit

How does the 4L80E compare in size to the 6L80E?  If I were going to start from scratch and try to cram something in there I'd be looking at the additional gears.  If it can run behind the ZL1 Camaro it should be pretty good.  You're issue after that, though, will be the differential and rear axles.  If you're going big HP you need to go solid axle or start looking at what the high HP 'Vettes are using.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For me it was not having to replace trashed 4L60E's all the time.  I am only making around 520rwhp on motor and 670'ish on a shot of juice thru the 4L80E but I know the 4L60E would die a quick death unless heavily modified!

zfan1 do you have any type of sketch/plans of your trans mounts for the 4l80e?

No I sure don't, my friend built it from scratch using my old 700r4 base mounting points in the trans tunnel. I will see if I have any pictures, the exhaust doesn't fit in the tunnel but I wasn't too worried about clearance. I am running long tube headers and dual 3" exhaust with Dynomax 14x4x3 oval mufflers, not noisy at all.

Mike

if you could please the pics would help....at least i have some direction with your description of modifying the 700r4 base...maybe we'll just mod the one off the donor vehicle..

thanks for the tip!

i think i hit you up on LS1TECH....please disregard :D

Someday, I'm hoping that I'll be able to put the new 8L90 with paddleshift into my Z.....faster shifting than the Porsche and 8 gears....oh, that would be fun!!  It'll take some serious floor/tunnel modification, but may be worth it.  After driving a Ferrari 360 Challenge car, I really want a true paddleshift setup, but after talking to the guys who have it with the 4L60E say it's not really worth doing.  Guess I have to try one to see if it's worth putting the paddleshift setup in my car now.  Anyone have any experience with the TCI or other setups?  I know it's slow and not like most newer cars. 

Edited by Savage42

Here's a photo of my '73 240z with an LS1 and 4L60E.  Had to beat the floor boards in around the tunnel to fit the exhaust. 

I don't know how I missed this.  How on earth did you get the clearance for the exhaust?  What diameter are you using from the headers?  I used 2.5-in. and the passenger side drops fairly low due to clearance issues between the 4L60E and the tunnel.

Modified a JCI transmission mount (turned it into a cantilever design).  Beat the floor boards in on both sides of the transmission allowing room for 2.5" pipe which merge into a 3" single.  I'm really happy with it - sits up nice and tight.  The goal was to be able to remove the pan for filter service w/out removing the exhaust and not see the pipes hang down from the rear or sides of the car. 

You can see more photos of the mount and exhaust on my post titled "A big thank you - 240 LS Conversion."

Tried to put the link in this reply and my computer locked up...