HybridZ

240Z/260Z boot release

drunkenmaster

Has anyone successfully connected a boot release mechanism to one of these cars?

If so what car did they use the mechanism from as the locking mechanism on the Z car is on the hatch and as far as i can tell you would want it on the frame so you can run a cable to it.

perhaps from a 280zx?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest macks

one way to do it is to use a central locking solenoid mounted in the actual hatch. I was looking into this but hit the stumbling point of having to have the key inserted in the lock before it'll let it turn. I'm hoping there's some easy way around this by fiddling with the insides of the lock barrel, but it's been put on the back burner for a while...

I have been looking at my brothers z31 300zx and the mechanism would transfer over fine except for the fact that the latch is on the bottom edge where as it is on the hatch lid for the 260z. This is no big deal, i was just goint to copy the z31 setup over to the 260z with some custom brackets BUT where the latch mechanism fits nicely on the inside of the z31, it would have to sit outside of the car on the 260z.

Go out and have a look at your car if you dont know what i mean, the hole where the catch would drop through from the hatch leads to the outside of the car near the numberplate and thats where the catch would have to go.......still thinking about solutions

Guest macks

yeah, I know what you mean. I don't think they had remote release in mind when they designed the hatch. if the lock could be tricked into thinking there's a key in there... Even if it was completely shaved, the mechanism can still remain and be solenoid actuated. You could hide a magnetic switch somewhere near the rear wheel arch and have a magnet in your keyring if you need to open the boot from outside the car...

Yaa, what Macks said. If you remove the lock cylinder, then all you need is a solenoid to connect to the lever where the key cylinder use to connect. Get a solenoid that is actuated by a key ring remote, fabricate some type of bracket, run a power wire and your done. Maybe reroute the power wire for the rear defroster that long ago quit working and use the console switch to trip the "boot".

Good in theory at least, but not having done it the devil is in the details.

I dont have any locks with my shell so I havent really had a chance to look at the mechanisms.

With the solenoid method you describe, im not sure, but I doubt it would be easy at all to remove the trim and manually override it in the event of a solenoid failure or flat battery. This is my major worry, call me paranoid :P I always like to have a mechanical back up to electrical systems that may hamper general usage of the car.

I also havent got the tail light panel so im not sure if it is possible to hide the catch mechanism behind it or not, you guys may be able to help me on this one :wink:

I was going to continue to look around at other cars with hopefully slimmer catches.

Guest macks

Mechanical backup? A well-routed piece of twine, or a hook that can be grabbed with a screwdriver pushed behind the trim and moved, or... even a pushbike's rear brake cable + liner routed right would give you a lever setup beside the driver's seat like on modern cars. Use a hook setup so it isn't pushed when the solenoid actuates, and you're home and hosed...

:) but the mechanism is in the hatch, it would mean routing the cable up around the hatch, down the rear 1/4 panel etc etc, probably doable but not very practical im thinking ?

Anyway, all this talk will make me look more into modifying the OEM mechanism, as having the hatch release mechanism outside of the car near the plates is asking for trouble I guess :?

• 2 months later...
one way to do it is to use a central locking solenoid mounted in the actual hatch. I was looking into this but hit the stumbling point of having to have the key inserted in the lock before it'll let it turn. I'm hoping there's some easy way around this by fiddling with the insides of the lock barrel, but it's been put on the back burner for a while...

Done that, with a push button switch mounted on the console, it works. The original lock hole in the hatch is now covered with a spoiler.