HybridZ

rear underbelly fins idea/exhaust prob fix

ZR8ED

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will soon be doing body work on my car again as i'm shaving the rear bumper and side markers, however i think i might go ahead and try makn' a diffuser just for show... who knows... maybe it will actually help?

-Ed

Also a thought just occured to me.... people who expierience fumes backtracking through the hatch...

on 280z there is a transition piece that comes off the body and smooths into the bumper... i'm willing to bet this isn't there for looks... anybody have exhaust problems with this piece still on?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok old thread, but I might as well continue it for those with exhaust problems in their Z.

If you have followed the thread, then you'll know all the changes and their effects on fumes getting in the car.. at least according to "MY" car.

Well as stated much earlier, my "tip up" style muffler tips could be a contributor.

Well I just replace the entire exhaust with a 3" ss system. I have the same brand of muffler, except instead of a 2.5" muffler, it is a 3" inlet and twin 2.5" outlets. The tips are now just straight out the back as well.

This has so far made a significant difference in fumes in the car. I have only had the car back one day, and I need to drive it for a bit under different driving conditions and try with one window down, two windows down, partials etc to confirm.

I just wanted to update this thread so others reading can see some answers instead of just questions and discussions.

I'll updated this thread again as i get more information, and try other ideas..

Thanks,

Scott.

• 1 month later...
Guest 73Turbo240z
I will soon be doing body work on my car again as i'm shaving the rear bumper and side markers' date=' however i think i might go ahead and try makn' a diffuser just for show... who knows... maybe it will actually help?

-Ed

Also a thought just occured to me.... people who expierience fumes backtracking through the hatch...

on 280z there is a transition piece that comes off the body and smooths into the bumper... i'm willing to bet this isn't there for looks... anybody have exhaust problems with this piece still on?[/quote']

<~~~ bone stock 280z... still has fume problems w/ windows down. constant exhaust smell, though i suspect all my rear seals could use a redo.

on another tanget, one idea i'd been playing with is putting fins inside the last portion of the exhaust path... like the rifling in a barrel helps a bullet shoot true, putting a spin on the exhaust just prior to exit may help it diffuse from the rear of the car more predictably.

Once again, only real way to test this would be strings all over the rear of the car i imagine.

Scott, I thought all along your exhaust system was the culprit. Glad to see you got it resolved.

Once the Vette is up and running again, I will be working on an under-car tray system for my Z track car. The car will have a COMPLETE sealed under-body from the nose to the tail. I have no idea how effective it will be, but I plan to dump my exhausts out the sides behind the rear wheels, and won't use mufflers, other than the race units that are super small... I don't care about noise in the car, since this car will spend 95% of life on the track. I'm undecided as of yet about a rear spoiler, although a pedistal "Wing" ala the ricer crowd, will likely be used with HIGH pedistals. This, along with a Kaminari or MSA front spoiler that can be modified to accept a chin splitter and side winglets will be used...

Otherwise the car, as of right now, will have no flares and no side railes. I will also not have any glass in the car other than the front windshield and the rear lexan hatch.

MIke