HybridZ

Max wattage headlight bulbs with stock wiring?

Midri

So I was reading up on the forums about headlight swaps and I figured I might just stick to the originals for a while. I saw that Tony D. was running 100/130W H4 and that got me wondering, is anyone else using that high of a wattage bulb? Tony D, if you see this -- are you running stock wiring? I'd love to get the lumens, but I really don't want to burn my wiring harness out... again...

I wouldn't recommend running the stock headlights with the stock wiring. I would suggest you put in some headlight relay kits to you get full voltage to the lights. Then the stock wiring is only supporting the load to open the relay's. Just by doing this my stock sealed beams got probably 50% brighter. Then after that as long as you used heavy enough wire you should be able to run what ever wattage you like. 

You will fry the stock wiring at 130W. You can handle maybe 100W but with the cheap relay harnesses produced by Dave Irwin there's really no reason to use the crappy stock wiring for anything more than switching the relays. Fuse Dave's setup appropriately, knock the stock lamp fuses down to 2.5 or at most 5A for the relay coils and get WAY brighter lights with even sealed beams.

The stock wiring has too much voltage drop through a switched ground. Get Dave's relays even for stock wattage and be amazed. Then you can upgrade to flamethrower so any time you like.