HybridZ

280z fuel vapor canister. Is the VCM needed for hook up?

I have a 78 280Z with an L28ET motor. As it is the vapor canister is removed ( got it that way) and the vent line is open causing fuel odors. I would like to install another vapor can but dont have the VCM to control it. Could I just hook up the vacum line to the intake manifold and run a check valve so the canister doesn't see boost? Maybe I could add a solenoid and trigger it with a switch in cabin at start up and shut down. Ideas? 

Thanks

The VMC( Vacuum control modulator)  from the 280zx turbo does not control anything in regards to the vapor/charcoal canister.  The VCM controls vacuum to the EGR valve and to the Idle control valve(ACC) on the 280zx turbo.

The vapor canister from the 280zx turbo does however have an extra vacuum hose hooked up to it that my 280z does not. The extra vacuum hose(4 total) attaches to the intake boot before the turbo on the 280zx.

Look in the FSM diagram for illustrations of the vacuum hose routing if you need to visualize the correct scheme. 

Edited by stravi757

Amazing how some of that Emissions Crap makes day-to-day living with the car nice, huh?

If you can find a cannister from a Geo Metro, they're smaller with better activated  charcoal, and work bitchen in an S30's fuel system. Mine is outside in the wheel well where rocks and stuff thrown off the wheel and abuse it. Hasn't broken yet. Figure if it does, it's  a cheap piece of emissions crap that can be replaced easily enough...

Not that my S30 has OBDII to let me know the U-Haul Guys punctured my vapor canister with the 3/4" drill installing my Class III Hitch...but I look under there from time to time to make sure nothing big has whanged it and caused some sort of issue.