HybridZ

Mid 90's T-Bird fan and Camaro radiator

Grog

Purely FYI. I largely followed the JTR book on cooling by purchasing the Mid 80s Camaro radiator and by using the JTR radiator cradle. I have one of the older galvanized steel cradles so it may look a bit different that the newer ones made from aluminum. Be careful about getting the correct radiator; the JTR recommended radiator is more expensive that the larger one of the same vintage. I picked mine up off of fleabay for ~$110.00. The only thing about using the Camaro radiator is that its next to impossible to find the rubber isolators. I ended up using a set of urethane isolators (under $18.00 from anywhere), cutting them to fit and using a silicone adhesive. Works perfectly. 

I made very simple mounting tabs for the fan using some 1/8" angle iron. I drilled and tapped them to mount to  the cradle, but you can use a method that works well for you. 

WRT the fan, I really like this one since it completely covers the radiator like it was meant to. You will need to cut of a few of the mounting brackets to get it to fit. 

I do recommend reinforcing the top of the JTR cradle using a thicker piece of aluminum sheet for backing. This radiator and fan combo is a bit heavier and there is some flex in it that I didn't like. Simple hand tools work and I riveted them on to the cradle. 

post-333-0-73592300-1444233057_thumb.jpg

post-333-0-93993900-1444233066_thumb.jpg

post-333-0-21722900-1444233118_thumb.jpg

post-333-0-85964400-1444233126_thumb.jpg

post-333-0-34443900-1444233693_thumb.jpg

post-333-0-66085200-1444233700_thumb.jpg

post-333-0-89766600-1444233708_thumb.jpg

Looks great. What year fan is that? That looks different than the one I'm using with the JTR radiator.

I tried to purchase a radiator and the mounting kit from them a few years ago and they said they had stopped making the radiator mount kit. Not sure if that's changed.

Its from a 94-97 T-Bird. I picked this one up for less than 70.00 to my door. JTR still makes the radiator bracket but its out of aluminum now. Its possible they had suspended production at some point to switch materials. 

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but please forgive me.  As you can imagine, I'm in the market for a radiator for a V8 conversion.

Did the OP purchase a "stock" radiator and mount with the JTR radiator brackets?  Or, is this thread primarily talking about the T-Bird fan?

Thanks for anyone's help.

-Mark

OP has a Camaro Radiator, JTR mounting kit, and T-bird fan based on the cooling section of the JTR manual. The JTR manual is a great read for anyone doing V8 swaps. JTR no longer sells those radiator mounts, nor do they recore those radiators. Apparently, the influx of aluminum radiators from Champion and others has made sales drop for the camaro/t-bird setup to the point where it's no longer worth it for JTR to bother stocking the parts.

The Champion setup (three or four row) with proper shroud and dual fans most likely cools better anyways.

• 3 months later...

I obviously respond way too late. Purchased the radiator new off of FleaBay, the fan through Rock Auto, and the radiator mount from one of the members here. I do have a stock radiator from a 76 Grand Prix that I had in it previously, but it won't fit in the JTR mounts; you would have to make a radiator mount for it. I only opted for the Camaro radiator just to save a little weight, but could easily switch back to the Pontiac radiator.