HybridZ

Fuel Cell Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm currently installing a poly whatever fuel cell in my Z. Using the trap door. Great idea Mike, thanks. My question is where do you vent the tank to and how? I have the rollover vent installed in the tank and need to know if there is some sort of pressure/vacume relief valve to use that will allow venting if a positive or negative pressure occurs. Also I tried to find an aluminum cell but none were available from summit or jeggs. Any suggestions? I would much rather have an aluminum unit. Thanks for any info. Mark

Jegs carries them, just call and ask about their Triangle Engineering unit. As for the vent valve, mine is installed and venting to the atmosphere... no pumps, or anything to equalize pressure.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Mike Thanks for the info. Triangle Engineering went under, at least thats what I was told at Jeggs and Summit. If you know differently please let me know. Mark

Nope... and that confirms something I suspected... I think RCI made those units for Triangle, although the fittings on the Triangle unit had o'ring ports on them....Summit might still have some of the RCI units.. did you ask them?

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Mike Yep tried several times to get any kind of aluminum cell. Not sucessful. If you hear of any please let me know. I don't like that plastic cell. It belongs on a lawnmower not on my Z. Mark

I bought a 20 gallon aluminum "fuel cell" from Triangle Engineering about six months ago (via Summit). The welding is beautiful, but keep in mind that it's NOT a true fuel cell, because it has no fuel bladder inside - just foam.

Also, the fuel filler cap is supposed to have what amounts to a check valve; it should vent air into the cell as fuel is depleted, but it should not vent fumes out of the cell. Well, I mounted the fuel cell inside the rear hatch area (no room under the floor due to center-mounted dual mufflers), and if I leave the windows rolled up overnight, in the morning the cabin is completely soaked with gas fumes. And when the fuel level drops to maybe 1/4 of the cell, fuel draw also drops, indicating that not enough air is let into the cell.

Filling is also a problem. There is no filler neck - you have to remove the 3" diameter cap, again releasing fumes into the cabin. Avoiding fuel spillage from the filler nozzle is almost impossible.

Bottom line: having checked the market somewhat thoroughly, I've concluded that there are no REAL fuel cells for cheaper than $500. If I had to do it all over again, or if I could sell my Triangle unit, I'd buy the "pro-street" plastic fuel cell from Summit.

Michael,

You say that fuel also drops? DO you mean that the volume of fuel drops? You see this in pressure pounds on the gauge? This may be my problem with the fuel pressure droip I'm experiencing... I don't have a problem with fuel smell, since I installed the vent roll over valve in my unit, but my cell is similar to yours...

Let me know.

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Michael,

Sorry to hear about your fuel cell problems, I've got the prostreet plastic cell. Almost have it ready to run just waiting on one more fitting. I'll post results after car is running again. Mark