HybridZ

Aftermarket fuel gauge?

Has anyone used one? I'm wanting to switch out all my smaller gauges (clock does not work) I've already got Depo water temp and oil pressure gauges, looking to use the 3rd spot for some kind of fuel gauge if possible... anyone done anything neat looking for their fuel gauge if they removed the stock one?

100s of posts on this.

search "Autometer fuel gauge"

BTW it takes some doing to make the aftermarket fuel gauge read correctly.

Also, Google "240z autometer fuel gauge"  and you will find many write ups on fuel gauges:

https://www.google.com/search?q=240z+autometer+fuel+gauge&client=ubuntu&hs=6lG&channel=fs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIoJ3DsKz9yAIVkJaICh2YnAR2&biw=1344&bih=664

Edited by Miles

Most people go with Autometer or Speedhut. I was gonna go with an Autometer that was pretty close to the ohm range on my camaro tank, but I ended going with the Speedhut Revolution. Much more customizable, same price as an Autometer with a digital stepper.

Autometer is the old standard for Z cars, but there are many new gauge brands that work better.  The ideal solution would be to find a a fuel gauge that comes with a matched sending unit that could be retrofitted to a Z gas tank. My stock fuel gauge works perfectly so I left it alone.

I installed Autometer's programmable fuel gauge (only comes in 2 1/16") about two weeks ago.

It works beautifully... Much better than the 0- 90ohm gauge with the common resistor modification. I only got the gauge to read accurately once like that. It left lots to be desired..

After I calibrated the new programmable gauge, I finally get a much more accurate (about as accurate as possible given the gas tank shape) reading than my previous attempts at an aftermarket fuel level gauge.

Taken from my build thread

Confirmed each quadrant of the gauge works. Appears to make sense, based on the sender position. Very cool.

Full

IMG_20151024_125917879_zpspmxvftl2.jpg

Moved the arm down a little.

IMG_20151024_131057670_zpscuot86rr.jpg

A little further..

IMG_20151024_130810383_zps87hqwkdp.jpg

More still...

IMG_20151024_130639606_HDR_zpstn1eyeom.j

And empty.

IMG_20151024_125417706_HDR_zpsomqf1mzs.j

And a random position - just to be sure.

IMG_20151024_125021917_zpsdw3lerkl.jpg

I'm finally happy with this setup.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea