HybridZ

z31 7mgte swap consideration

savan12986

Hello, I've recently purchased an '85 300zx NA. Come to find out, it has bad compression (90,120,162,122,118,200) PSI, and it has started blowing oil out the exhaust. I doubt it's worth the money to fix it. Plus I wouldn't mind a bit more power anyway. What I'm considering is putting a 7mgte in its place, and cranking the boost a little to get ~300whp.

Now onto the questions I assume people will be planning on asking about my choice of engine:

Why not a vg30et. It's almost a direct bolt in and can easily handle the power you're after : I think japanese sports cars should have straight 6's not v6's

Why don't you v8 swap it? It's cheaper and easier : See above ^

Why not a(n) RB/1/2J? : I prefer the low end torque and sound of the M series over the RB/JZ series engines.

7M's blow head gaskets : I'm aware of that. The factory torque specs are too low. Use a metal head gasket and ARP's torqued to 84ft/lb and they're fine up to 400-500hp on stock internals.

I've done some searching and I haven't found any examples of the z31 chassis with a 7m in it. Does anyone have any experience with a swap like this, or know if the engine will even fit properly?

If possible I'd also like to keep the stock digital gauges, so if there is some adapter that can be used that would be great. 

I'm not 100% opposed to going another route, but this is my prefered direction. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by savan12986

There are a couple 2jz swaps, so I find it likely that a 7m will fit. The only part that may be problematic is the cross over intake manifold which may need to be converted to a FFIM and the coil packs which may need to be moved or switched to IS300 coil packs. The only other part that may be difficult is the banjo fitting on the back of the head.

Gauges are dependent on how much you change. Water temp and oil could be easily retained if you just adapt the factory ones, RPM should read the same depending on your pickup (I think you could even run the engine with the stock Z31 ecu with maybe a flash, plenty of L28ET guys run the ecu or I might be thinking Z32, still a similar setup). Speedo may need a conversion box.

Props to you though, don't build a car to other individuals standards.

I figured I'd put the 2 black sheep together. The z car that no one really likes and the straight 6 that everyone discounts because "Hurr-Durr Head Gasket". And 7mgte 300zx rolls off the tongue better than 2jzgte 300zx.  Plus extra troll cross brand engine chassis combo

Edited by savan12986