HybridZ

72 240z cranks, has fuel, some spark but won't start

Try the starter fluid with the pistons lifted.

You bought a car that was sitting for a while. The motors on these cars are pretty robust, but also very affordable. Replacing it is not a big concern. If you have good compression on this one then it is likely to do with a simple system. Don't lose hope.

Edited by seattlejester

Try the starter fluid with the pistons lifted.

You bought a car that was sitting for a while. The motors on these cars are pretty robust, but also very affordable. Replacing it is not a big concern. If you have good compression on this one then it is likely to do with a simple system. Don't loose hope.

Thanks, I am going to give that a shot. And will report results tomorrow some time. 

Tried it all, I feel like it might be a fuel thing but then maybe spark I was messing with the throttle and it would almost catch and start but it would just keep turning over. So I sprayed starter fluid into the carb, lifted the cylinder thing and opened the throttles and it still wouldn't start, so I think it's back to the distributor.

Have you checked compression? And by almost catch are you hearing the engine turn over? Or are you hearing thuds in the exhaust?

By spraying straight into the carbs while cranking you have assuredly ruled out fuel being a problem. As long as you keep spraying as you change other things, fuel will continue to not be a problem. 

Have you checked compression? If you do not have a compression gauge, you can take the valve cover off, and turn the engine over by hand and listen for hissing cylinders.

If it is back to the spark, do you have any method of checking actual inline spark? like a timing light or an inline spark indicator?

I sort of checked compression by taking the plugs out and feeling it when it was turning over, I know that's not exact science but the compression felt decent. And by almost catching I mean that it almost starts, like when you hear an engine just turning over and over and what I hear is that it starts combusting for a few seconds then just turns over. I'm going to check sparks today, either way I ordered a new condenser, points, cap and rotor.