HybridZ

CHT or CLT sensor?

HuD 91gt

I am almost ready to fire up my car using ignition only, and preparing the planning for the fuel side.

I'm contemplating using the stock CHT sensor in the head, vs the CLT in the thermostat housing. Since cylinder 5 is the hot cylinder, doesn't it make sense to get readings from here? Is the sensor (filled with grease) too slow to react to changes?

I am using MS to control my cooling fans.

Edited by HuD 91gt

I used the CHTS the whole time I ran my L28ET. I used that signal to control the fans as well without any overheating issues. Sometime the head gets hotter than the coolant though, so don't get alarmed at the Temps. I think the best is to run both. Have the ECU use the coolant for warmup and fans and the head sensor to monitor and maybe for anow alarm.

In my VG33E+T and the two other VG30ETs before this I used the CHT sensor. It's much more "stable" than CLT. It also represents your actual engine temperature and not the coolant system temperature, but both are just as usable. You can switch between them with just some changes to the fan hysteris if you have a fan triggered via the CLT input.

As for being "stable," my coolant temps would swing, say, +/- 10° C, as the fans cycle. My CHTS just goes between 5° C or so. This has the added bonus of, say on the dyno, letting me know when my engine is really too hot and needs to cool down vs just when the coolant has taken up a lot of heat.