HybridZ

What Distributor/Ignition setup are YOU running?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Alrighty guys, just wanted to see what ignition setups everybody was using, and maybe a bit of feedback on them... Also has anybody heard of Dave's Small Body HEIs (IgnitionMan from Chevytalk)? His products seem pretty interesting, and having spoken to him he seems like he's very knowlegeable. Check it out at www.davessmallbodyheis.com

I also heard that the Pertronix unit is crap as far as reliability is concerned... Looks like burn out all the time..

Im using MSD pro billet distributor and MSD 6a box with MSD blaster two or three coil. Distributor is not vacuum advance purely mechanical. No problems as of yet.

zfan.. Mike

Guest Anonymous

Stock HEI with an advance curve/weight kit, plain jane stuff for the lower rpm's (to 5k) works suitably, maybe put in a hot coil and module when I get to it. Works great for a driver.

Regards,

Lone

Accel billetech small cap distributor with an HEI type conversion cap. Igntion is an Accel 300+ using the distributor's mag trigger only.

I think this guy's distributors sound fine. I'd get a small cap w/HEI terminals and then run an aftermarket ignition...

Im using a MSD Extra Duty billet distributor and

MSD 6AL box with a MSD Blaster 2 coil. The distributor

has both mechanical and vacuum advance.

I've put about 7000 miles on the car in the last

8 months commuting to/from work plus about a dozen

1/4 mile passes at the drag strip. No troubles yet.

Don

im running a points style distributor with the pertronix kit, and a blaster 2 coil, no problems with it yet, except that with the pertronix you have to be kinda careful when you put the cap back on, one time i pushed it off course by putting the cap back harshly and had a crazy misfire had wot, but thats the only issue ive had with the unit so far. swapping out to msd hei one of these days....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Im using a MSD Extra Duty billet distributor and

MSD 6AL box with a MSD Blaster 2 coil. The distributor

has both mechanical and vacuum advance.

I've put about 7000 miles on the car in the last

8 months commuting to/from work plus about a dozen

1/4 mile passes at the drag strip. No troubles yet.

Don

Old thread I know, but how does a distributor have a mechanical and vacuum advance? Isn't the vacuum advance itself mechanical?

I'm trying to determine if I need to run the vaccum advance for a MSD 6AL using a 280zx Dist as the magnetic pickup. I think I said this right?

Hmmm... looks like you can go either way...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=111032&highlight=msd+6al+vacuum+advance

• Administrators
Isn't the vacuum advance itself mechanical?

Its terminology... mechanical advance happens with RPM, vacuum advance with load. They are both mechanical devices.

I'm trying to determine if I need to run the vaccum advance for a MSD 6AL using a 280zx Dist as the magnetic pickup. I think I said this right?

You never *HAVE* to run vac. advance. It helps economy and, to a lesser degree, light load throttle response.

Improper vacuum advance on my stock HEI caused many tuning problems and poor-startability on my 454. With the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, the engine ran fine, but that was high torque and low weight possibly masking improper tuning.

For what are hopefully the final touches of my build, I am leaning towards the Crane HI-6 ignition box (capacitive), Crane LX92 coil, and either Summit “Billet†distributor or the Crane electronic unit. Crane’s electronic distributor has the advantage of foregoing weights and springs in favor of switch-selectable ignition curves, but the selection of ignition curves is rather limited, and the cost is pretty steep. It would be nice to find a truly programmable distributor, with a plug into a laptop for tuning, but without the all-out complexity if a stand alone spark control system. Unfortunately in the world of the traditional V8, the options tend to be either modest improvements on a standard distributor + timing box, or a complete engine management system.

BTW it wouldn’t be a bad idea to restart this thread. Ignitions for traditional V8s are underrepresented in this subforum, as most threads here discuss either LSx or the L6 applications.

• 5 weeks later...