HybridZ

ignition cutoff

jzd14

okay...i want to wire in a ignition cutoff switch and put it in my ash tray (as a security feature)

i want to be able to flip the switch when i get out of the car and have no power going to the ignition so there is no chance of it being able to start

does anyone have any suggestions on how i could go about doing this?

i don't have too much experience with electrical systems so your input is very welcome

thx

I'll take a first stab here and hope someone else jumps in. I believe you can take a jumper wire from the ignition circuit to your "ash tray", through a switch, and then ground it directly to the tray. This way with the switch closed, you then ground the ignition circuit and prevent it from operating. My concern would be to make sure there is enough impedence to prevent a high current short during the time the ignition switch is turned on while this switch is closed (i.e. if a ballast resistor is already in the circuit or not). Otherwise, just install jumpers in-line with the ignition circuit so that the 12 vdc "switched" is open (which requires two wires instead of one).

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, and you've probably already dunnit, but here's my $.02...

I would run the ground lead from my coil (or batt+ connection for hei) through the firewall and switch that on and off. Let em crank the car, when it doesn't start they will just think it's broke down or something. Actually, i would run it through a series of identical switches of differing up/down orientation with no labeling, that way you would have to set the switches in a certain sequence to start the car. (note to self: inside console would be a good place to put this switch panel)

Bill

Check out: "The Immobiliser"

Get inventive with the way to arm it. Use a relay (who'd a thunk? :D ) that is activated by the ignition switch to arm it, and hide the magnetic reed switch to disarm it (allowing the car to be started). You could use a the Normally Closed (not connected to the arm when the relay is energized) to short out the ignition coil like discussed above. I'd be leary of that though - for the reasons that Terry brings up. Just cut power to the ignition with that last relay in the circuit:

0059_07.jpg

Jacobs electronics makes a box that allows the engine to be started and run fora minute or so. Then it cuts the ignition in and out like the car is stalling before killing it altogether.

The idea here is the theives will be in the middle of an intersection or something when the car dies. Makes them much more likely to abandon the car.

The other advantage is they have to actually move the car to be quilty of auto theft, a much stiffer penalty than simple breaking and entering.