HybridZ

Turbo Manifold Designs

Exposed

I've recently been looking into different turbo manifolds and noticed most of the manifolds on the market that use external waste gates have the waste gates going out of the merge collector at what looks like a 90°. From what I've been reading you'd ideally like them between 0° to 45°.

Other than space restrictions is there something I'm missing?
 merge collector.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, that's basically it. However, as long as the wastegate can flow enough to perform it's function of controlling boost pressure, then how it is mounted doesn't really matter.  Also, you could make up for a sub-optimal mounting position by upping your wastegate size.  

• 2 months later...

A bit of necromancing, but in the vein of this discussion. You can have a wastegate so poorly mounted that you effectively make it useless. I recall an example where someone took the wastegate off leaving a hole in the turbo manifold and the turbo was still spooling up. My friend has a manifold he purchased that was custom made that has a long trumpet that connects to the waste gate a foot or so away from the merge collector and he can't bypass enough gas to keep his boost down. While another individual with a bigger engine, same turbo, smaller wastegate, with better priority has the full spectrum of control.