HybridZ

New RB30DE

RB30-ZED

Guest Anonymous

Hey, that looks really sweet.

Have you got any more info about the engine around? I was thinking of doing a similar swap (but turboed) into my Z.

I'm guessing you used the RB30E block and RB25DE head from the looks of it? How many hp do you think its making?

Nice work anyway,

Daniel

Hi Daniel, yes its a brand new factory RB30 bottom end and the RB25 non turbo head with variable valve timing, it also runs the RB25 N/A pistons (same 86mm bore) which brings the comp ratio in at 10.5:1. The hard parts of the converion was fitting the dual interrupter rings in to the back of the harmonic balancer to run the Delco coil Pack and getting the engine to sit low enough to close the bonnet, or hood for you peaple in the north smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

So if I wanted to make a turbo RB30 what would be the best combo of stuff to use? I didn't know the compression ratio would be that high. If I used RB25 turbo pistons do you know what it would be?

And how did you actually get it to fit? Modified engine mounts?

Thanks

Dont know if you would want to use the standard piston with the turbo, but the RB30 block with RB25 N/A head and RB30 N/A pistons gives around 8.3:1. Sorry to say ive lost all the little bits of paper with the measurements, but the RB25 has a combustion volume of 63cc. I did make a new set of engine mounts and made a sump using the front section of a Nissan Patrol 4WD with the front of the skyline sump moved back to a short section of skiline rear sump smile.gif with no leaks so far.

man that looks tough, bet that thing buzzes really really nice, like the setup a lot, clean ride and a really nice suspension. can we get a sound byte please? wow, i only wish that we had more access to the rb motors out here, if we had access like you guys i think a good portion of this site would be devoted to doing that swap. lookin good.

Thanks Tony, not to much left to do, door mirror, windscreen trim ect and some time on the dyno to tune the fuel and ignition maps, i have the idle control set up and the low speed fuel. Tomorrow im going to look at a set of 2002 Subaru WRX black leather seats, but i think that they may be a bit on the wide side then save my pennies for some Pannasport FS16 16x7's with the grey centres

Steve

Guest Zpeed

Could i ask why you went for the N/A over the Turbo, In aus Rb30 turbo's are plentyful, as are the RB30 N/A's just wanted to know.

also the N/A pistons of the Rb30de are differant to the Rb30det turbo pistons

Guest nustad

Excellent - exactly what I would like to to do - I have an R32 Skyline GTS25 and a 240z and think the swap you have made is an excellent one. I am a na fan and prefer the razor edge sound and throttle response of a well tuned na motor.

Are you using the standard exhaust manifold. I am not sure what they are like having never taken the heatshield off my Skyline. Are they a nice design? My Skyline already sounds great with a 2.5 inch exhaust with HKS superdragger muffler but I wonder if it would be better with a aftermarket set of headers?

If money was no object then a engine like yours with TWM individual throttle bodies would be cool.

Really like your car and would love to hear stories of the first drive.

Cheers

Glenn

Auckland

NZ

Yes Zpeed you can ask smile.gif

I just like a good strong N/A motor, even my old L28 surprised a couple of turbos, and at my local hIll climb it was faster than Standard Skyline GTS-T 2.5"s and WRX,s.

Not that i dislike turbos, but any one can go fast in a straight line, there is more to a good car than outright power.

Steve

Great work, Steve. How about bringing her up here next year for the Z Nationals? Try her out around Queensland Raceway. You will have some opposition though, including a RB30ET 260 with MoTeC management and 15psi boost which reaches 230 kph down the back straight smile.gif

Originally posted by kalium99:

Who has the RB30ET with Motec? I will be back in Brisbane for the nationals with either my RB26 or 2JZ :-)

One of the Z Car Club Q Inc. members, beaut car, even has air con. Yes, roll out the RB26 smile.gif

Guest Zpeed

yer i like N/A's also, rb30-ZED

just on a side note, when are the australian nationals, this october am i correct, i will be going for sure..