HybridZ

Talked to some Supra guys with big singles..

BLKMGK

I've not had time to post th epics yet but I had a nice chat with some Supra guys running Greddy T78 turbos. On the way to the show the guy said they were fooling aorund some on the highway - pump gas. Top of 3rd he started to lose some traction, shifted into 4th and began burning rubber at 60MPH when the boost came on! :eek:hail.gif He was running 275series tires if I recall correctly - and it's not been dyno tuned either! Boost was set for about 20PSI and he'll run about 8lbs more on race gas. I cannot imagine that kind of power but hope to get there sometime soon. smile.gif

I've ordered a Greddy 4row intercooler, AEM fully programmable PnP ECU, and a catalytic converter (don't ask). This will all go on with my stock twins. As soon as I feel comfortable I'll be ordering up a Greddy T78 myself. First I've got to figure out a fuel solution - Supra vendors want $450+ for a 2foot piece of fuel rail eek2.gif Not sure how I'm going to get around that and find some injectors that don't cost a million bux.

Anyway, imagine this drivetrain in a Z. My Supra weighs like 3500lbs, my Z probably 2500lbs. Sick I tell you, just plain sick!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest super280z

Blk,

thats rediculous man i tell ya. there's a fella (brice2k) up in dallas running a t-88'd soupra thats making 800 some odd RWHP on pump gas. scarry stuff. anytime you can break the tires loose on the dyno, you know you're just about right in the HP department. no where did i leave that video...

im sure that Greddy tuning stuff is going to help you out tremendously. good luck to you on you're fuel system!

Jim,

wanna know how fast your Z would go? My buddy tunes and drives a Titan Motorsports-owned car and will be competing in the full NHRA season. It has a Greedy T-88 on a stock bottom-end and the car set a national record of 9.83 @ 152, ON 325 DRs and 6-spd!! They have it stripped down to 2900lbs, still a porker compared to a Z.

hmmmm.....that sounds awesome! I was actually reading a post on the skylines forum, and there was this guy in Australia, runnin an RB26DETT in his Z....had to get a bunch of guys to sit on the back of the thing as it was breaking traction on the dyno!

Man I wish that they had USDM supra's in Japan....and that the turbo's were on the other side :-)

that single turbo conversion is crazy! my buddy raced a t78 supra, and the thing wasnt tuned right had a ton of lag, but in third gear that thing was going warp speed fast!!! i was watching was behind in my firebird checking it out, crazy i tell you that thing accelerated like out of nowhere into terminal velocity!!!! and yeah i was trying to race him and the 5.0, and got smoked by both exponentially bad. cry2.gif

Guest Speaker

Yeah, T78 Supras have tremendous amounts of lag and its not worth it IMO

Check out RPS's single turbo setup. Can make just as much power and spools WAY faster.

Heh, lag? Umm, no. I've already talked to a local guy driving a Greddy T78 kit. He says the lag is as bad as running the stock twins TTC which means both full time. I've not tried that as I'm told it's slower on stock twins but I think I'll be able to live with it. This guy is getting decent boost by 3K RPM and full boost by 4K. Presently I get boost at about 2500RPM but nothing real noticable until just about 4K. At 4K this thing presses you into the seat and takes off! Guy I spoke to was spinning wheels in 4th gear running between 18-20PSI. I figure the lag will be slightly worse than what I'm running now but not super bad. We'll see - I'm not 100% set but I'm close. There is that money thing to consider though *cough*

RPS kit is about $4200K+ right? What I'd REALLY like is an SP66 but the $5800K+ pricetag sux! Greddy is listed as $3800 and I can do better than that. I'll consider the RPS but I'm not sure an SP turbo can be put on that manifold. I think their turbos WILL go on a Greddy manifold though. I figure if lag is bad I'll switch to a smaller SP turbo (shrug). We'll see, money is the issue at hand! Once the RX7 is sold I'll be in a better position to do this...

P.S. Kalium - you located in Tokyo presently? If so PLEASE drop me a line! I'm looking to pickup some JDM injectors and if you can get them for a reasonable amount and ship them I'd be VERY happy! Don't have part numbers etc. handy but if interested I'll get them. TIA!

Guest JAMIE T

Single turbo'ed Supra here in Richmond makes over 600hp at the wheels and has been known to break traction in 5th gear. I'm not TOO impressed though, my Vortech supercharged Mustang would draw smoke off the tires at highway speeds. Watching Darius' video brings back memories.

Friend has a nasty Mustang. He's been known to get it SIDEWAYS smoking the tires at freeway speeds :eek: It had a HUGE ferris wheel styled ATI blower on it, sick! It now has a pair of HUGE turbos on it and will be even faster. We're talking over 1K HP :eek: We'll see though, he likes building the cars as much as anything else so as fast as it's built he redoes the thing (sigh). He's working with the guy who's got my intake so I'm hoping maybe he'll have some parts pointers when I need funky things for my cars. Unfortunatly he HATES Japanese cars with a passion. Some people just cannot see past their pregidous (sp?!) which is unfortunate.

Personally, I don't want to lose traction at all if I can help it. There are some SERIOUSLY nice aftermarket traction control devices out there that look interesting. Group buys are done for them all the time so if I run into problems I'll consider it. Supposedly my ECU will be capable of doing traction control too with some added hardware so we'll see. That's almost a problem I'd like to have - almnost.

For now I'm concentrating on the stuff I can do and afford, big single decision is future but I'm researching it. A ride in a T78 and maybe a drive will help me decide...

• 2 months later...
Guest Speaker

dunno dude, a T78 IMO is one of the worst turbos to get on the Supra...

its a strict drag racing turbo... the A/R equivalent is like a 1.33... yes thats right smile.gif

and T78 Supras aren't all THAT fast ;) a T78 RX-7 will walk the dog on the Supra smile.gif mainly because the turbo is spooled around 4000-4500rpms instead of 5500 for the Supra :D

the BEST IMO kit is the RPS Single kit; it uses a T66, makes just as much power as the T78; and spools up a helluva lot faster

not sure what RPS's website is, but I'd check that out

Guest Anonymous

"For now I'm concentrating on the stuff I can do and afford, big single decision is future but I'm researching it. A ride in a T78 and maybe a drive will help me decide...

"

Ahem, secondaries on a four barrel, not working, needs attention, ummm, priorities man, priorities.. Doncha wanna see what it can REALLY do? ;)

Regards,

Don

Originally posted by Speaker:

dunno dude, a T78 IMO is one of the worst turbos to get on the Supra...

its a strict drag racing turbo... the A/R equivalent is like a 1.33... yes thats right smile.gif

and T78 Supras aren't all THAT fast ;) a T78 RX-7 will walk the dog on the Supra smile.gif mainly because the turbo is spooled around 4000-4500rpms instead of 5500 for the Supra :D

the BEST IMO kit is the RPS Single kit; it uses a T66, makes just as much power as the T78; and spools up a helluva lot faster

not sure what RPS's website is, but I'd check that out

Umm no, at 4K the T78 is making BIG boost on a Supra. I've now talked to three different guys who own them and everything I hear is that it's lag isn't bad. Remember, stock twins don't make most of their power until 4K either. With a programmable ECU I can make up for some of the lost off-boost performance by wicking up the ignition curve. Right now I'm learning the ECU's ins and outs, then will install fuel, THEN the turbo :D Hopefully by Summer's end! T88H, now THAT is a drag turbo and guys are pushing those! :eek: There ARE other kits with faster spooling turbos BTW - they only cost about $2K more! malebitchslap.gif

I know Lone. Rear suspension FIRST then I'll worry about the motor. 300RWHP in that car is enough for the moment - I've broken several Ujoints now already ya' know! EFI is still planned, the guy with the intake STILL hasn't done it but he knows I'm starting to get antsy about it. I'll get there, I've got about 10 years to go before I look worse than Pete ;)

Guest Speaker

well the only T78'd Supra I know of is making around 650-700rwhp-ish on race gas over in Pensacola ; and his car is notorious for spooling up slowly...

that and several supra guys in town say thats not the turbo to go with unless you have a built automatic with a torque converter because the power comes on so strong it just breaks the tires loose...

which is typical of a 1.3 A/R exhaust

remember, Supra guys don't run any higher than a .81 or so on their turbos for the street... if you think a T78 is only going to spool a little slower than stock, you're deluding yourself dude, sorry...

if you're wantin to go with what the other Supras you've seen, then thats cool; just giving my input... I've never heard or seen a car with a T78 that didn't spool slow (except for a 3rd gen RX-7 which can spool very large turbos easily enough, but it still wasn't until around 4500rpms)

are the guys with those T78s running a shot of juice? that would definitely help things out quite a bit smile.gif

oh and the T88 isn't THAT much bigger than the T78... its the same exact compressor side; just a bigger exhaust side made for more boost... makes about 100-150rwhp more... its like the difference between a T3/T4 and a true T4...

T78 = TD08 compressor/TD07 exhaust

T88 = TD08 compressor/TD08 exhaust

a TD08 compressor is about the size of a T72 or T76 in the garret line

.81BAR? Umm actually I talked to a guy running 22PSI on pump gas last Saturday. 20PSI is what another friend runs except on race gas which is 30PSI. There ARE faster spooling turbos and down the line if this one doesn't scratch my itch. However to get one of those right off the bat is something approaching $6K. T78 is less than $4K so...

FWIW http://www.vache.org/supra/turbos.htm which gives some curves. An SP53 or SP66 is what I'd really like but... Those turbos will bolt to the Greddy kit so we'll see. The guys I've talked to say the lag isn't an issue and the curves seem to show it making about as much as my peak power now at 4500RPM - I can live with that I think. I've got time anyway, fuel is first.

P.S. I'm a six speed. Here's another good URL -> http://www.to4r.com/to4r.html

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Super280z:

Blk,

thats rediculous man i tell ya. there's a fella (brice2k) up in dallas running a t-88'd soupra thats making 800 some odd RWHP on pump gas. scarry stuff. anytime you can break the tires loose on the dyno, you know you're just about right in the HP department. no where did i leave that video...

im sure that Greddy tuning stuff is going to help you out tremendously. good luck to you on you're fuel system!

Actually, it's Garrett T-51R which is alot bigger than a Misu T-88.