HybridZ

V6 Engines

Guest Zachb55

Guest Zachb55

Whats the skinny on V6 swaps, do many people do these for more than road racing, are they any good for draging with maybe a couple turbo's bolted on, and are they easy to put in???

If so what engines from which mfg's?

thanks,

-Zach

Your choices are: Buick 3.8L, Chevy 4.3L, Nissan 3.0L SOHC, single-turbo and Nissan 3.0L DOHC, twin-turbo. Never heard of anyone doing a Ford swap and the Chevy 2.8L to me has no more potential than the L28ET. Most common of the swaps is probably the Nissan SOHC and the Buick. None of them have a kit so none are easy. The Chevy is probably the easiest because it is simply V-6 version of the SBC and the Nissan TT is probably the most difficult.

For drag racing you cannot go wrong with any of them but it depends on how quick you want to go. If you are looking to get into the 10s, there are 3 Buick-powered Zs that I know of and I do not believe any of the others have hit that mark but it is more a matter of the owner than the engine. Some, like the Nissan SOHC, can have a low-entry fee then require mods to get there. Others like the Buick have a higher entry fee but require fews mods, just careful tuning. The Buick is limited to an automatic so if a stick is a requirement it is out. However, all of these engines, when breathing hard, have incredible torque with the Buick easily matching a worked big block and the auto works best for drag racing.

If you are looking to get in the 11s, any of them will get the job done. If you are looking to get in the 12s, not sure a swap is necessary as the L28ET is proven and can get you there for a LOT less $$$, unless you just want the WOW factor when you pop the hood.

Guest jdllaugh

Don't forget the Camaro 3800 Series II motor, '96 up. Makes 200 hp stock and can get to the 260 hp range with simple mods. Low-mileage motor/tranny combos go for about $1k.

Guest j_rock

Chevy is comming out w/ a new 4.3 260HP crate motor for S-10's. Have any of guys heard of these yet. I was planning on droping a 350 in a Z but this new 4.3 sounds like a awsome deal. They say w/ headers and exhaust it will push over 280HP...that would be great power for a v6. I'll let you guys know if I find out anything more on this. Hopefully I will start my project at the end of the summer. LATER.

Guest Anonymous

this may sound odd but you know what V6 i would liek to see in a Z? i have always thought that the 3.4L DOHCV6 that came out of the toytoa tacomas were a pretty bad little motor. and i know that they have a fair amount of support through TRD. a nice set of headers,cam change, TRD supercharger kit with a 12 or 13 PSI pulley and i'm sure you would have a nice lightweight motor that could put out some fairly decent numbers.

Guest Zachb55

Thanks for the feedback, i didnt even think about the buicks, what cars and years were those sold in, it would be awesome to go pull an 11 second motor out of the junkyard for cheap.

-zach

Just wondering....In the commodore VR here in Australia we got a 3.8L buick engine...V6. They didnt come in turbocharg'ed form....but maybe a turbocharger could be 'whacked' onto it and put out some nice numbers. Did you receive the 3.8L in NA form in the states as well? How well do they hold up ?

Cheers

Ray

Guest Anonymous

Kenne-Bell is a great source for turbo Buick V6 setups; they've been working with Buick engines for decades. The best turbo Buicks are the '84 and later with fuel injection (Regals and Rivieras); but the GNX is the ultimate (and very pricey, if you find one). The late FWD Buicks V6's have a different block than the RWD's and would be more difficult to install. Super Six Motorsports is doing some serious work with Ford's 3.8L V6 as well.

Funny you say that, I just got an e-mail from Kenne-Bell, he seems to know what he is talking about. I think though that the V6 3.8L in our commonwhores are not the same design as the GN turbo :( so probably not much chance of whacking on a turbo and making silly HP :(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Simon

I have been thinking about the V6 swap for some time now. the jap motors are just too expensive.... any one know anything about the super charged six that came out in the VT or VX commodore.. my goal is to get about 200-300 HP as cheep as possible, not using a V8 because of there size... I don't like the idea of a 5.0L motor in my 260z.. maybe a small v8 ...

any info will be good...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i think he's talking about the vortech 4200 L6 thats in the new tralblazer/envoy suv. its got dohc variable valve timing, coil-on-plug ignition etc...i dont see any support from the aftermarket on these engines yet but if they do and it will become a popular swap.

Few more facts about the new GM Vortech 4200.

It's all aluminum.

Dual Overhead Cam (4 Valves per cylinder)

HorsePower = 270 @ 6000 rpm

Torque = 275 @ 3600 rpm

vortec_4200_i6.jpg

Now you have to ask yourself; What transmissions will work with this engine?

A recent car magazine is doing a build up of a Chevy 4.3 6. This doesn't seem like a very good hod rod engine either. At least this is what the magazine is saying the whole time they are detailing the build up. Apparantly the heads flow poorly and there is very little in the way of aftermarket parts available for the engines.

As for the new Trailblazer in line 6, someone posted a statement on this site saying that engine could be difficult to work with because of the engine management computer needed to work the variable valve timing.

Can't vouch for the veracity of either statement.

im looking at that 7mgte conversion, that looks like cool amounts of power there, but i am also into that vg30det single turbo motor, there are tons of those in the yards over here, and the trannys are all over as well, more to break!