HybridZ

'81 280zxt mated to 77 flywheel?

scartail

Hey all,

I'm missing something. I pulled a 280zxt out of an 81 auto and want to install it in a 77 manual.

The problem is, the flywheel does seem to be right for the newer engine. What am I missing? The hole that goes through the flywheel is larger than what's on the crank, and the shoulder (the backside of the flywheel should sit on) is larger than the flywheel. This prevents the flywheel to be bolted flushed to the face of the crank.

It seems the '77 flywheel can't be used with the 81 turbo engine. Any advise? Or are my suspicions correct?

Thanks in advance.

crank_flywheel.thumb.png.9ce8471811b65208f41eb66136d2af23.png

It looks like your engine still has the spacer on the end of the crank for use with the flex plate.

https://zcardepot.com/products/automatic-transmission-pilot-converter-spacer-adaptor-oem-280z

You just pry that part off and stick a pilot bushing in the end of the crank. All the cranks are the same, so the flywheel will have no problem bolting up.

The '77 flywheel will be 225mm and the L28ET flywheel would be 240mm. There's a reason for the difference - the L28ET makes a lot more torque... I tried using a stock early Z clutch / flywheel package when I originally did my turbo swap, but the clutch slippage made me move to the 240mm turbo flywheel and an Exidy clutch package.

13 hours ago, ZHoob2004 said:

It looks like your engine still has the spacer on the end of the crank for use with the flex plate.

https://zcardepot.com/products/automatic-transmission-pilot-converter-spacer-adaptor-oem-280z

You just pry that part off and stick a pilot bushing in the end of the crank. All the cranks are the same, so the flywheel will have no problem bolting up.

Awesome... Thanks for the tip!!

I did try to search for a solution... but keep getting a 500 server error.  It finally loaded.

12 hours ago, cgsheen said:

The '77 flywheel will be 225mm and the L28ET flywheel would be 240mm. There's a reason for the difference - the L28ET makes a lot more torque... I tried using a stock early Z clutch / flywheel package when I originally did my turbo swap, but the clutch slippage made me move to the 240mm turbo flywheel and an Exidy clutch package.

Something to save pennies for in the future. My near-term goal is to get the stock setup working, then I'll look to upgrading. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by scartail

Another range of options that have been gaining traction in recent years is the RB flywheel on an L motor. There are small alignment shims available that will allow you to safely bolt an rb20/rb25/rb26 flywheel to an L28 crank and use a 280zx turbo or 350z clutch (they both bolt up). There is much better availability of lightweight flywheels for the RB engines on ebay and the like so this can be a good budget option to get a lightweight flywheel and a stronger clutch.