HybridZ

Chevy 4.3l V6 in a Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am doing some preliminary research on a project I'm hoping to start this spring. Anyone ever swap a 4.3L Vortech into a 240Z? From what I've gathered the 4.3 is basically the same (motor mounts)as the 5.7L 350? I also want to fit a 6 speed tranmission from a mid 90's camaro. This will be my first swap effort.

Thanks for the help!

I know a member of my Z club has done it in a full tilt race 240Z.

Super fast. I heard he hit 174mph on the back straight at Mosport!

I have no other info for ya

http://www.whiteheadperformance.com/

This is the engine builders website.. Greg is a great guy with tons of info on Modding Z's. Not sure how forthcoming of info on the V6 swap as it is for a private customer. Ya know racers secrets? that kind of stuff.

Guest 240hybrid

Dont give me any ideas for another project.....I just bought a new truck with a 4.3 in it. Good running motor. Would seem like nice swap especially with Twin Turbos.

Would seem like nice swap especially with Twin Turbos.

I know I've posted about this before, but I've driven a Lingenfelter prepped V6TT in a RX7, putting out 1000+ HP at 20lbs boost. Even with the 305mm wide tires, they could paint the freeway at 90mph!! :eek:

Lots o fun!! :D

Tim

I know that Lingenfelter charged $25,000.00 for the engine alone. :eek: , but then the same guy that owns the RX7, also owns a McLarenF1, so cost is not much of an issue to him. Hell, he pays more for a sevice on the MF1, than I have in all my cars put together!!!

Tim

The blue 4.3L powered 240Z that races at Mosport is a full tube frame race car and used to run an EFI L28 TECII with 6individual throttle bodies. The car is substantially more powerful with the carb'd 4.3L V6. I used to know the ball park on how much power it was putting out with the 4.3L, but it is something really ridiculous. Expect to fabricate new engine and tranny mounts to fit this motor in.

A twin turbo 4.3L - now thats sick!

Yasin

Guest 240hybrid

Good lord, I wish I had money to throw around like that. I didnt think just the motor would run that much. Sounds like that guys rollin in it. Tell em to send some $ my way. :D Has anyone every just pulled a 4.3 out of a chevy and run it? Or tried to put turbos on it without investing $25000.00? Just curious to see.

Guest Ian turbo240

The 4.3 has a lot of things going for it. It's based on the sbc 5.7 (350) and its pretty strong. I think that they put out about 190hp and well over 200lbs of torque stock. That should be enough to make a quick street Z. The GMC Typhoon and Cyclone made a lot more power than that with the single turbo setup. They were even more power than the GN's in stock form. Anyway, it's a good idea, and you should be able to use the JTR mounts and accessories. I just hate the way they sound though. Kinda like a dying cow! Good luck!

Ian

Guest MoNkEy

Ok, I should be able to help on this topic.. because I have a 4.3l in my 98 Sonoma.

The stock SPFI 4.3l's (assuming you go fuel injection) have 190HP@4400RPM and 265ft-lbs@2800.

I know a guy who had Twin T04's on his 97 S-10, it ran mid 9's in the 1/4. Wasnt fast enough for him. Sold the block, turbo's, everything. Now he wants to put a TT-LS1 in it.

My truck is pretty fast, I can only imagin the 4.3l in a smaller car..

If you guys are looking for GM engines, the new inline 6 4.2l engines come with 270hp@6000 and 275ft-lbs@3600.. you kind of have to wind it out on the horsepower end.. but it would make for an interesting turbo setup..

(I wrote a reply earlier, it was pretty long, but then I had errors posting it, something with quotations in the HTML???)

Guest Anonymous

I'm new to this board. You guys are cool. I've got a GMC Jimmy with the 4.3 in it. I got the idea from driving the thing and liking the torque a whole lot. I thought with a little work it could be a mean engine. Does anyone know if the tranny from a mid-90's camaro (6speed) will work with the engine? I'm getting my engine and tranny from a junk yard here in town (keeping the Jimmy). No 25k engine budjet for me :( . For you boost junkies out there I wanna run with single turbo or a supercharger whichever I can find available when I'm ready. As far as engine goes, I wanna get my cams degreed, crank lightened and balanced, new pistons and rods (compression to be determined after I make my turbo/supercharger selection) and 5 angle valve job/port and polish. It should make a mean Z.

A few months ago a car mag (forget which) ran a series hopping up a 4.3L Chevy V6. They felt this is not a good hot rod candidate due poor flowing heads and the unavailablity of aftermarket parts. Other than that, they did a fairly nice build on the motor so would recommend finding the ariticle if you are serious.

here is a past topic discussing the engine.

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000166#000002

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I hope this topic sticks for a while, I'm building a Brodex headed 4.3 with a roller cam right now. The heads are bad ass with very large valves I mean BIG. I will be taking some pics if someone can post them I will E mail them to you. As for 4.3 in a Z, great idea you have enough space to shove the engine way back or center depending on the type of racing. I like the idea some one E-mail me for the pics of the heads.

Alex C

boostit@pmei.net

If you run a search in here you will find a lot of topic re the 4.3 in a Z. John Scott, who posts here has put a 4.3 with a turbo in his Z.

The JTR set back plates won't work with the 4.3, the motor would be to far forward which would move the shift lever forward approx 4.5". The t-56 out of a IROC or Trans-am would work since the 4.3 uses the same flywheel as a SBC and the bellhousing will bolt right up.

Although the 4.3 shares the same layout as the sbc and can use many of the same parts, there are one significant differences.

The stock 4.3 uses a split pin crank with larger journals than a SBC. SBC rods won't work unless you can find a odd fire crank. This requires a different distributor (MSD makes one) and a different cam. If you get the chevy performance book they go into all of this.

There are a lot of parts out there for these motors. Chevy performance has new performance heads although they are big $. Lots of used stuff available as well. I just picked up a complete motor with chevy high port aluminum heads 2.1 intake 1.65 exhaust, chevy performance manifold, MSD, Moroso waterpump, holley carb for 1k. I also have a set of the 18 degree heads and brodix manifold for when I get the $ together for a killer motor.

Stay away from the post 92 hipo 4.3 with the balance shaft, alot of the aftermarket stuff won't work with it.

As soon as I pick up a t-5 I'm going to start on my 4.3 in a 240z project.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if a six-speed from a camaro will a. work with the engine, and b. work in the car (maybe too long?)

Thanks

Originally posted by Mr. Lurid:

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if a six-speed from a camaro will a. work with the engine, and b. work in the car (maybe too long?)

Thanks

Haven't been on the forum for a while since I change to V8. I was running My PROCHARGED 4.3 with the aftermarket T56 which uses the T5 bellhousing, clutch,slave throwout ect. A very clean and easy to convert unit. Also has the mechan. speedo, unlike the newer stock T56s. Mounting waterpumps, accessories, transmissions... all the same as sb V8. The best placement for handling will require custom fabrication for motor mounts. (Still have mine) V8 mounts using JTR will put the engine way forward. JTR crossmember and the rest of the swap is pretty much the same. I loved the 4.3, but to get the big hp I wanted would have been extremely pricey.

John