HybridZ

Help me decide which to use please...

JKDGabe

I think the v8 would be too long for that car. I`m pretty sure you would have clearance problems with the slope of the hood.

Why not go with a gm 4.3 with a 5spd. They have the same transmission bolt pattern as the sbc but are about 4.5 in shorter.

If you look hard enough i believe some of the later Vortec 4.3`s had aluminum heads and can still be retrofitted with a carb.

many aftermarket companies are making all sorts of goodies for them.

I`m considering a vortec 4.3 200R4 swap into my wifes 79 MGB. ;)

Could go rover V8. Its very light. There is also a artical in the latest racetech Mag on the 3.5lt sohc dodge v6. I think this is the same engine use in barber dodge single seaters. It weighs 125kg and puts out 315 hp at 7000 rpm. Its said the only mods wer cam, intake and exhuast. Its probably lighter then the original celica engine.

Douglas

I`m sure there is a way to utilize the 4.3 Vortec FI, ECM, and harness if you would rather have EFI. I`m sure it would be no worse than adapting any other EFI harness and system.

I just assumed that if cost were the issue, it may be more affordable to go with a carb.

This is not a Z (it's an '83 Celica GTS) but it's the only hybrid site I know of where I could ask this.

I'm thinking of putting in a V6/standard and cost and reliability are my two main concerns, although not in that order. Weight is a factor as it's a small car and I don't want to do radical suspension mods. I'm thinking 3800 series out of a Camaro/Firebird, or should I go Ford? I know I can get a complete wrecked Chevy for $1k or less, haven't found anything on Stangs yet.

I could be convinced to go V8 if the weight wasn't too much more, is that a possibility?

I may not be able to reply anytime soon, but thanks for any help!

Guest Paul Felker

or you could find a 22re turbo out of a 84-88 toyota 4runner. we did this to my brothers 84 celica, boy did that thing scream burnout.gif we lowered it by cutting the springs with a grinder tinted the windows and went out honda killin. from what ive read those turbo motors could put out 350 horses wihtout too much trouble, i have no idea what his was but it wasnt 350 horses, but that little bugger could move. i dont know how much the motors go for but we got his for a set of supra wheels with bald tires.

one motor should go in there....20B, yes i know its alot and i no its not very reliable...well more then a 13B but I have a video of one with a 20B with about 600hp and it shows it going from a roll... all you see is smoke for a quick sec and then the car just moves...and thats it. its the fastest thing i have ever seen, its just nuts.

but if you cant spend the money for a 20B get a nice turbo 2 13B motor, or a SR20DET smile.gif .

both can be had for cheap.

Mike

Jens,

Not much info I'm afraid. It is the us domestic market dodge 3.5 lt. There is (was?) a single seater race series in the U.S. called barber dodge and I think that the engine is used there. The article I read said that it had stand alone fuel injection, new inlet, exhuast and cams. Its a sohc engine but has 4v per cylinder. It is standard in all the large crysler's. You may be able to find it in a voyager van in your neck of the woods. You would need a adapter of sorts for rwd.

I will see if I can find more out.

Douglas

Sorry Jens. I have given you the wrong info. Barber Dodge was a 3.2 lt v6. The one I was reading about is for a new single seater series thats being set up now. ISSC (international single seater challenge). I couldnt find much other than marketing Hype and B.S. I imagine it will be rather expensive.

Douglas

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

hey feller's

this is my first post so here goes . . .

Dude: a SBC is 28L x 24W height is relative to the oil pan and intake system employed

it will so fit in there sooo sweetly. Modifications I would expect to run into would be minor firewall work to clear distributer, also fabin motor/tranny mounts and accesory mounts. also a rear end swap is madatory as yours is rated for a 4 banger and will strip under the torque of a mousemotor, look for a v8 chevy monza or narrowin a chevy 10 or 12 bolt.

my .02 worth

Elnyne

Guest livewire23

well, im not sure if i've been here long enough to do this, but here goes.

welcome to the board.

good to hear a new voice. and good luck CRD, sounds like this'll turn out to be an interesting swap. keep us posted.

I am a big Toyota fan and know alot about these cars. The best engine conversion I have seen is the 2JZGTE out of the last generation Twin Turbo Supras. However in terms of keeping it practical and cost effective, the 7MGTE from the 3rd Gen Supras would be awesome - 230hp stock, with 300hp capability very easily. That way you also get to keep your stock 7.5" rear end, tranny and motor mount fabrication will be alot less than putting a V8 in the car. Take a look at www.toysport.com, they put the Supra turbo engine in your car (except it was the convertible Windchaser model).

The 22RTE from the 4Runner pickups would be pretty awesome too. They are strong bullish engines when built will easily turn out 250hp, which is alot of power in your car. And the best part no fabrication req'd.

Hope that helps!

Yasin